Eleventh Annual USD Kaleidoscope Award for Exceptional Governance
Proud of Your Board? Nominate Your Nonprofit for The Kaleidoscope Award
Like a kaleidoscope, the work of nonprofit governance is intricate, varied and involves viewing the organization through a variety of lenses. Exceptional governance requires precision, imagination and principled and adept decision-making. Governance practitioners are dedicated volunteers who contribute valuable services to our community.
To nominate a nonprofit board, submit the application for the Kaleidoscope Award for Exceptional Governance. Award winners receive a $500 cash award and five complimentary passes to the 13th annual Governance Symposium in January, 2017. The winner will be announced at the symposium on January 13, 2017.
See what the San Diego Youth Symphony has to say about Board Governance. In addition to the Kaleidoscope Award, San Diego Youth Symphony (SDYS) won the first ever BoardSource Prudential Award for Exceptional Governance.
10/15/16: Application submission deadline
Submit hardcopy application with attachments to Elizabeth Kocek, Nonprofit Institute, SOLES, 5998 Alcala Park, San Diego, CA, 92110
10/21/16: Receive notification of application status
11/02/16: Committee site visit and interview with finalist organizations’ board leadership and key staff.
Please make sure you are available on this date when you submit your application, as our committee will be unable to make scheduling changes. Also have additional materials available (listed in application) for on-site review at that time. Please plan 1.5 hours for the visit and interview.
11/10/16: Award winner notified
Kaleidoscope Award Committee:
- Hans Peter Schmitz, PhD, Associate Professor, University of San Diego, Committee Chair
- Janine Mason, MA, Executive Director, Fieldstone Foundation, Founder of Kaleidoscope Award
- Edith Glassey, MA, CFRE, Associate Executive Director, Center for Community Solutions
- Mary McDonald, PhD, Director of Development, Father Joe's Villages
- Donald Stump, MA, Executive Director, North County Lifeline
- Paul Van Dolah, President, Van Dolah & Associates
- Liz Shear, MA, Director, Nonprofit Governance Symposium
Exceptional governance is always a work in process. If you are proud of your board’s track record at oversight, foresight and/or insight and have an exceptional governance story to tell, we encourage you to submit your organization for consideration.