EDUC 589P: Healthy Environments and Inclusive Education in a Global Society
This course provides candidates with an opportunity to learn more about local and global perspectives on educating diverse learners. We will emphasize the cultural and linguistic diversity of Black South Africa and the challenges of educating this broad group of students including a strong emphasis on the history of South African R-12 schooling with specific attention to racial stratification and segregation. We will begin to answer the question: How do you educate all children equally in multiracial, multicultural, multilingual societies? A comparative overview of American and South African education systems and cultural norms using readings, lectures, digital media, critical reflections, discussions, and experiential activities such as working with cultural liaisons. Students will be asked to complete a ChangeMaker project in collaboration with South African educators from universities and schools in Johannesburg. Additionally, students will attend and present at the DISES conference in Cape Town and local community event in California.
|Application Opens||October 20, 2017 Apply Now|
|Travel Dates||Jun 28 - Jul 7, 2018|
|Pre-Trip Session:||Apr 1, May 1, Jun 1, 2018|
|Post-session||Jul 10, 2018|
|Global Study Fee||$ 350|
|Estimated Travel Costs||$1,200*|
|Total Estimated Expense:||$3,800|
* Airfare not included
1. To submit an application, you need a current passport (valid for six months after intended date of re-entry to the US) and the contact information for two people who will serve as your emergency contacts.
2. Take time to read and understand the electronic agreements before signing them. Print out copies of the electronic agreements for your own records.
3. The estimated program costs includes accommodation, transportation for in-country program activities, some meals and program costs. Students will need to budget for some additional meals and incidental costs.
4. Upon registration, you will be billed a non-refundable $150 deposit. Students may withdraw after being registered to the course by sending an email to the Global Center. Students are responsible for all non-recoverable costs incurred by USD. Tuition refunds for the program and are processed according to the same on-campus tuition refund policy establis
5. Please fill out the PARTICIPANT HEALTH INFORMATION & WELLNESS CLEARANCE QUESTIONNAIRES PRIOR TO purchasing your flight. In some cases, students may need to get authorization to travel abroad from their health care providers. If this applies to you, please make sure you see your health care provider as soon as possible and PRIOR to booking a flight!