UC SAN DIEGO
CAREER SERVICES CENTER
GRADUATE STUDENT ASSISTANTSHIP
2013-14 ACADEMIC YEAR
I. POSITION INFORMATION
JOB TITLE: CAREER DEVELOPMENT GRADUATE STUDENT ASSISTANT
DEPARTMENT: CAREER SERVICES CENTER
SUPERVISOR: DIRECTOR, PROFESSIONAL ADVISING SERVICES
II. CAREER SERVICES CENTER
The Career Services Center (CSC) helps UC San Diego students and alumni determine and fulfill their career goals through a variety of programs and resources including career advising, workshops, job fairs, special events and resources.
III. EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
The Graduate Assistant will have the opportunity to collaborate with and receive training/mentoring from UC San Diego Career Services Center advising staff. Areas of development include: application of career development and student development theories, counseling skills, resume writing techniques, workshop development and presentation skills, and developing and measuring student learning outcomes.
IV. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Advise students from diverse cultural backgrounds on topics such as career planning, resume writing, interview preparation, job/internship search strategies and graduate school preparation.
• Develop and facilitate workshops on various career related topics (Resume Writing, Job Search Strategies, Interviewing Skills, and Obtaining an Internship). Workshops may take place both at the Career Services Center and off site.
• Assist with the development and assessment of learning outcomes.
• Assist in the development and facilitation of special programs, including career panels, Business Quarter, Career Discovery Week, networking events, and senior career week programming.
• Gain familiarity with resources on the Career Services Center’s website and Career, Internship & Graduate School Library.
• Attend staff meetings and staff development opportunities when schedule permits.
• Other duties as assigned.
V. LEARNING OUTCOMES & ARTIFACTS
• Will be determined in conjunction with the supervisor and student upon placement.
• Second-year student pursuing a MS/MA/Ph.D. in Career Counseling, College Student Development, Counseling, Psychology, Educational Leadership or related degree.
• Strong interest in career counseling and career development issues of college students.
• Knowledge of career development and student development theory.
• Experience developing and delivering presentations and programming.
• Demonstrates cultural competence and awareness of diversity topics in working with students from various backgrounds.
• Experience using Microsoft Office software programs, including PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Paid Position - $14.25 per hour
• Familiarity with UC San Diego campus resources, faculty, staff and administrators.
• Opportunity for personal growth and development.
• Experience in Student Affairs and Career Services.
• Professional mentoring relationship with student affairs staff.
Lauren Payne, Director
Professional Advising Services
Career Services Center
UC San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive #0330
La Jolla, California 92093-0330