Job ID: 119332 Application Deadline: Posted until Filled
Re-posted: January 10, 2013 Starting Date: August 1, 2013
Unlocking Potential is a nonprofit school management organization whose mission is to rapidly transform chronically underperforming district schools into extraordinary schools that sustain high achievement over time. Our turnaround schools ensure that students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential. UP Academy Charter School of Boston, Unlocking Potential’s first turnaround middle school, opened in summer 2011 as an in-district charter school serving almost 500 students in grades 6-8. In summer 2012, we launched our second turnaround middle school in Lawrence, MA. UP Academy Lawrence Middle School will serve more than 300 6th-8th grade students in fall 2013. In summer 2013, we will launch UP Academy Charter School of Dorchester, our first turnaround K1-5 school, as an in-district charter school in Dorchester, MA, pending city and state approval. We intend to launch our fourth turnaround school in summer 2013 in a gateway city north of Boston.
Teachers hold primary responsibility for the development of curriculum, the instruction of content, and, most importantly, the success of UP Academy’s students.
• Implement curricula to meet academic standards;
• Ensure student mastery of state, city, and school academic and behavioral standards;
• Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards;
• Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices;
• Participate in curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions;
• Provide consistent and high academic and behavioral expectations;
• Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues; and
• Participate in an intensive staff orientation and training for up to four weeks prior to the school year.
• A passionate belief in UP Academy’s mission, values, and educational model;
• An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them;
• An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges;
• Proven track-record of high achievement;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong public speaking skills;
• A sense of humility in the face of success;
• Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom;
• Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred;
• A valid Massachusetts Teaching License for the appropriate grade level;
• An ability to meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and "Highly Qualified" according to NCLB; and
• Current authorization to work in the United States – A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment.
We offer a competitive compensation package, including, when relevant, a salary equal to (and in some cases above) the district scale and comprehensive health benefits. All staff members receive extensive professional development, a laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please fill out our online application at http://www.unlocking-potential.org/careeropportunities.html.
UP Academy provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Position Type: Full-time
Positions Available: 2
Equal Opportunity Employer
Unlocking Potential is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
Master degree preferredCitizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Unlocking Potential Recruitment Team
215 Dorchester Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02127