Description: The San Diego River Park Foundation is searching for a talented and
dynamic Development Director to join our team. This position will be responsible for a
$5 million capital campaign to construct an education center and park in Mission Valley and future capital campaigns. This is a newly created permanent position.
Responsibilities include all aspects of the campaign but primarily focused on major gifts. 20% of the position will be dedicated to working with the executive director and an existing part-time development coordinator to establish the organization’s strategic
initiatives to meet annual fund raising goals and secure corporate sponsorships for the
annual River Days event. The Development Director will also be involved with brand
placement and organizational messaging.
Overview: This position presents a unique opportunity for an experienced fundraising
professional to help establish the San Diego River Discovery Center at Grant Park, a 17 acre nature-based park with a 8000 square foot facility. The organization has secured a donation of land valued at approximately $10 million for the facility and initiated final designs for the center. A 3 – 4 year capital campaign is anticipated. The person should have a proven track record of securing major gifts, work well with volunteer board members and be skilled at developing promotional materials. The Development Directorwill help to refine the on-site donor recognition program and should have experience with planned gifts. The person should also be able to demonstrate excellent record keeping, including donor logs and gift acknowledgements. This will be the first full-time development position for the organization.
Reporting: This position reports to the Executive Director and interacts directly with the SDRPF Board of Directors. The development director will work out the SDRPF’s offices located in western Mission Valley.
Compensation: $70,000 salary plus benefits.
Qualifications/Skills: An ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred.)
• Proven track record of a minimum of five years experience of major nonprofit
fundraising on a capital campaign.
• Experience working on capital campaign of at least $2 million.
• Documented experience of raising at least $5 million.
• Ability to interact with all levels of potential donors.• Ability to work effectively and professionally with employees, volunteers and Board members.
• Strong leadership and management skills.
• Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
• Passion for the mission of the organization.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills (verbal and written).
• Strong organizational skills (experience/interest in developing systems and policies).
• High attention to detail and ability to carry out assignments in a timely and thorough manner.
• Knowledge of DonorPerfect preferred.
• General computer knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not
inclusive of every duty the employee is expected to perform.
The San Diego River Park Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter and resume in electronic form to
email@example.com. Please put “Development Director” in the subject line.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Phone call or email inquiries are welcomed. Thank you.
The San Diego River Park Foundation
4891 Pacific Highway, Suite 114
San Diego, CA 92110