Honorary Professor and Associate Director of the HKU Family Institute
Man-lun Ng is honorary professor and associate director of the Hong Kong Uuniversity Family Institute. He was previously professor of Psychiatry at The University of Hong Kong.
Ng received psychiatric training in Maudsley Hospital, University of London, UK. His expertise in sexology has helped promote sexual health in couples work and psychotherapeutic development, both locally and internationally. While he is renowned for his work on sexuality, he is also one of the most influential psychotherapists in Hong Kong. He is instrumental for bringing psychotherapy training to psychiatric trainees. He has also set up the Psychotherapy Trainer Accreditation Subcommittee in Hong Kong to accredit trainers. A member of the Management Committee at FI, Ng plays an important role as trainer and researcher in our academic program. As one of the most interesting and provocative trainers in the field, he has actively challenged students' stereotypes in his teachings. This has enabled students to expand their horizons and break their limitations and stereotyping. He has also teamed up with Dr. Wai-yung Lee in promoting and facilitating a trans-disciplinary approach to clinical practice and research.
- Accreditation Panel Member, Psychotherapy Trainer Accreditation Subcommittee, Hospital Authority Hong Kong (2008)
- Member of the Scientific Committee, 16th World Congress of Sexology, Cuba (2002 - 2003)
- Member of the Scientific Committee, 15th World Congress of Sexology, Paris (2000 - 2001)
- Member of the Gold Medal Committee, Advisory Board, World Association for Sexology (2000 - 2001)
- Member, International Academy of Sex Research (1997 - present)
- Vice-Chief Editor, International Chinese Psychosomatic Medicine Journal (ICPMJ), New York (1997 - present)
- Director & Council Member, Asian Federation for Sexology (1992 - present)
- President, 14th World Congress of Sexology (Hong Kong), World Association for Sexology (1996 - 1999)
- Founder President, Asian Federation for Sexology (1990 - 1994)
- Founder President, Hong Kong Sex Education Association (1985)
- Cheng, J.Y.W., Chen, R.Y.L., Ko, J.S.N., Ng, E.M.L., & Ho, T.P. (2007). Efficacy and safety of atomoxetine and its comparison with methylphenidate for attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents - Meta-analysis and meta-regression analysis. Psychopharmacology, 194:2, 139-288.
- Cheng, J.Y.W.*, Ng, E.M.L., Ko, J.S.N. (2007). Depressive symptomatology and male sexual functions in late life. Journal of Affective Disorder (online April 30, 07 at http://www.sciencedirect.com on doi:10.1016/j.jad.2007.03.011 )
- Cheng, J.Y.W.* & Ng, E.M.L. (2007). Body mass index, physical activity and erectile dysfunction – U-shaped relationship from population-based study. International Journal of Obesity (online April 24, 07: http://www.nature.com/doifinder/ 10.1038/sj.ijo.0803639 doi: 10.1038 /sj.ijo.0803639).
- Cheng, J.Y.W. & Ng, E.M.L. (2007). Prevalence and Biopsychosocial Correlates of Erectile Dysfunction in Hong Kong: A Population-Based Study, Urology, 70:1, 131-136.
- Pei, Y.X., Ho, S.Y.P., Ng, M.L. (2007). Studies on women’s sexuality in China since 1980: a critical review. The Journal of Sex Research, 44:2, 202 - 212
- Cheng, J.Y.W.*, Ng, E.M.L., Chen, R.Y.L., Ko, J.S.N. (2007). Alcohol consumption and erectile dysfunction - meta-analysis of population-based studies. International Journal of Impotence Research, 19: 343 - 352 (01 Jul)
- Cheng, J.Y.W.*, Ng, E.M.L., Chen, R.Y.L., Ko, J.S.N. (2007). Prevalence of erectile dysfunction in Asian populations: a meta-analysis. International Journal of Impotence Research, 19, 229 - 244 (01 May)
- Ng, M. L., Chen, R. Y. L., Lee, W. Y. & Lee, K. W. Y. (2007). Attitude, Behavior and Psychophysiological Responses to Gambling in Chinese Macau Gambling Workers. Advances in Problem Gambling Theory, Service and Research in the Asia-Pacific Region, Proceedings of the Inaugural Asian Pacific Problem Gambling Conference 2005, 124-136
- Ng, M.L. & Ma, J.L.C (2006). Sexuality in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, In, B.Francoeur & R. J. Noonan (Eds) The Continuum Complete International Encyclopedia of Sexuality. New York, Continuum, http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/ccies/hk.php
- Hu, C.Y., Lee, W.Y., & Ng, M.L. (2004). Depression and parental marital conflicts and dissolution in children and adolescents. Foreign Medical Sciences, 31:3, 132-134.
- (2002). A five year review of sex clinic service in Queen Mary Hospital of Hong Kong. International Chinese Sexology Journal, 1:1, 19-22.
- (2002). Primary Cesarean Section and its biosocial determinants in Shanghai. International Chinese Psychosomatic Medicine Journal. 3:2, 96-101.
- Guo, L.T., Ng, M.L., & Che, Y. (2001). An analysis of factors related to contraceptive knowledge in Shanghai wives 6 years after marriage. Reproductive Medicine. 10:5, 275-281
- Ng, M.L. & Guo, L.T. (Eds.) (2001). Adult Psychiatry, Seminar in General Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists, Vol. 1.(Eds. G. Stein & G. Wilkinson), Chinese Edition. Blackwell Science Asia, Carlton.(ISBN 086793-426-8)