Internationalization occurs when students or professionals obtain knowledge and develop skills, behaviors, attitudes and beliefs that prepare them to practice effectively across cultures and countries.
Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Counseling faculty believes that preparing future counselors to practice effectively in a global society adds value to their graduate experience and prepares graduates for increasing demands to practice outside the boundaries of their community, state and national setting.
Marital and Family Therapy
All incoming MFT students will be required to engage in an international experience prior to program completion. The MFT program faculty will advertise a variety of options to complete the international experience requirement. A few examples of international experiences include:
- Study abroad
- Participate in a lecture or clinical supervision from Hong Kong University faculty via video conference
- Travel to Tijuana to observe professional practice in social service agencies
- Attend lectures by international scholars visiting USD.
If you complete a study abroad course, you will automatically be credited with completing the international requirement. If you complete a different project to meet the requirement, you will complete a form documenting the activity.
All students in the School Counseling Program at the University of San Diego are required to participate in a program-approved internationalization experience outside of the United States. Examples of approved experiences would include:
- Study abroad course or program participation
- Cross-cultural collaboration on professional or scholarly projects
- Participation in bi-national or multi-national collaborative research projects
- Joint student-faculty research abroad
- International internships
This requirement is designed to enhance the student's international and global perspective, particularly as it relates to professional counseling. The experience will increase student's knowledge and skills for working with international students, employees and clients and preparing clients for educational and professional experiences in a global environment.