2017-2018 Fellows Program
The JOHNSON EDUCATION FELLOWS PROGRAM
Dear Teacher or Principal,
The Johnson Family Foundation in collaboration with USD’s School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES) and the Department of Learning and Teaching is offering an opportunity for schools to deepen their understanding of best teaching practices in general education for children with learning disabilities.
In year three of the Johnson Education Fellows Program, general education teachers chosen as fellows will attend featured speaker keynotes and workshops at USD to build strategies for working with students with learning disabilities. These teacher leaders will equip themselves with strategies for supporting the needs of students and for generating shared practices among teams of teachers.
As participants, fellows agree to provide professional development to school-site colleagues that responds to the needs of the specific school (as established by lead teachers) and will include critical reflection on developing inclusive environments and strategies in Universal Design for Learning. We seek partner schools for this collaboration and would be glad to consider your school as one of our sites.
- Principal support of efforts to improve inclusion practices
- One or two designated lead teachers who would serve as Johnson Fellows, attending workshops at USD every other month (starting October 18) and leading 3 trainings for school-site colleagues.
- A group of 3-5 teachers who would identify better serving the needs of students with learning disabilities as one of their yearly evaluation objectives OR time/space at school-wide or grade-level professional development meetings for teacher leaders to provide training
- Professional development for teachers, providing support to teacher leaders who will facilitate the school-site training
- A $400 award to each teacher leader to support their efforts to improve inclusion
- A recognition event at the end of the year to honor the work of teachers
- Certificates of participation for those who engage in the trainings
If you have additional questions about the Johnson Education Fellows Program, please contact Erik Brault, email@example.com.
If you would like to participant as a fellow, please as soon as possible, providing your name, school, contact information, and affirmation of principal support.
The Application deadline is October 9. Accepted fellows will be notified by October 11 and the first event is scheduled for October 18.