Leadership Mentor Program (LMP)
The Department of Leadership Studies Leadership Mentor Program (LMP) pairs undergraduate and master's students with professionals who can provide mentoring in areas such as networking, interpersonal skills, and career development to better prepare students for their professional lives.
LMP provides students with the opportunity to learn from successful and experienced executives by forging long-lasting, professional relationships. Our leadership mentors are individuals with at least seven years of professional experience and expertise in business. They are alumni and friends of USD who volunteer their time to help students prepare professionally and succeed in their chosen career. Here are a few of the ways in which a mentor can help you:
- Discuss trends in various sectors
- Introduce you to colleagues to help you build your professional network
- Identify internship and job opportunities
- Provide career building tips
- Coach you on your soft skills
- Critique your resume
- Give advice on professional communication, dress and demeanor
You must meet the following criteria in order to apply to be matched with a leadership mentor:
- Attend a mentor information session
- Be a student enrolled in either the undergraduate nonprofit leadership and management certificate, the undergraduate leadership minor, or one of the master's degree programs in the Department of Leadership Studies
- Have at least 12 months until your anticipated graduation because your mentor needs to be able to work with you for a year or more before you complete your degree
- Be prepared to engage in a professional relationship, one in which you will be responsible for maintaining regular communication, willing to listen and learn and take initiative
While the academic education and career advice that you receive in the Department of Leadership Studies is excellent, having a professional relationship with a mentor who has successfully navigated the working world and can give you practical and sound advice is invaluable.
Before applying for a leadership mentor, please read through our answers to frequently asked questions.
If you are interested in having a leadership mentor, please complete the brief application on our website.
If you would like more information before you commit, there are additional resources on our website and you can also contact Teresa VanHorn at 619-260-4760.