Caster Family Center for Nonprofit and Philanthropic Research
The Caster Family Center for Nonprofit and Philanthropic Research is part of the Institute for Nonprofit Education and Research. The mission of the Caster Center is to provide research, evaluation and consulting services that benchmark the nonprofit sector and build the capacity of nonprofits and philanthropies.
Over the course of one year, researchers from the Caster Center interviewed seriously wounded service members and their spouses and children, as well as military, civilian and nonprofit professionals who work with this population. The study included two phases: the first phase focused on understanding the specific needs of children of seriously wounded service members through interviews, focus groups, and reviews of existing research; the second phase focused on an assessment of government and nonprofit programs available to identify gaps that exist.
The State of Nonprofits Quarterly Index is San Diego’s only index charting the economic health of local area nonprofits. We invite all nonprofit leaders to become a Nonprofit Economic Trend Reporter for the State of Nonprofits Quarterly Index.
The Caster Center offers an online assessment that helps nonprofits measure and benchmark the ethical climate of the organization.
Among its services, the Caster Center:
- Offers access to and analysis of various types of nonprofit data
- Conducts studies and research on the sector
- Analyzes funding, public policy, and environmental trends affecting the nonprofit sector
- Provides program evaluation, needs assessments, and research services to nonprofit organizations on a fee-for-service basis
- Maintains databases on San Diego County’s 9,000+ public charities as well as private and community foundations