Specialization in Leadership for International School Leaders
PhD in Leadership Studies
Department of Leadership Studies
- Identify and respond to complex problems
- Develop critically reflective professional knowledge
- Link theory with systematic inquiry
As with all specializations in the program, students in this specialization will be required to complete and defend a dissertation.
- Personalized faculty advising to tailor course selection to student needs
- Opportunity for short-term coursework abroad, taught by Leadership Studies faculty
- Opportunity to build knowledge and expertise in conducting research, analyzing educational policy and practice, and developing innovative uses of educational technology
- Examination of educational outcomes with focused attention on the racialized, class-based and gendered school experiences on a national and international level.
- Hybrid format including online and
Designed to promote aspiring leadership in the international school community, the 57-unit program begins with
Students will proceed through this program as a cohort. Students are expected to take 2 courses per semester and coursework can be completed within 3 years.
Your course prescription will offer a blend of required and elective courses covering topics such as:
- Field-based research in intercultural contexts
- International research methods
- Leadership theory in a school context
- Applied leadership practices
- Assessment and evaluation
The specialization is in addition to the core leadership and research courses included in the doctoral program of study. At the completion of all coursework, students are expected to complete a dissertation under the advisement of a USD faculty committee of scholars.
For information on how to apply to the