PhD in Leadership Studies
Department of Leadership Studies
- The University of San Diego Graduate School Admission Application
- One official sealed transcript from all colleges and universities attended, including community colleges. Foreign transcripts must be accompanied by a Course-by-Course transcript evaluation from WES, ECE or IERF.
- One official score report with the results of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General Test
- Three professional letters of recommendation from professors or employers
- A current resumé or curriculum vita
- Statement of purpose. In four single-spaced pages:
- Address how earning a PhD in Leadership Studies fits in with your academic/professional and personal goals.
- Discuss one or two of the key research topics that you may want to investigate as part of your PhD
- Discuss the key leadership lessons you have learned from your leadership experiences within your profession or outside it.
- International applicants only: Official score reports for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Standardized Testing Requirements
- Applicants must provide scores from the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General Test. Scores must be less than five years old.
- There is no minimum GRE score required.
- The University of San Diego’s GRE Institution Code number is 4849. This number must be included on test registration forms in order to have the official results sent to the university. Standardized testing must be completed well in advance of the deadline as it typically takes about 2 weeks for the score reports to arrive after a request is made.
- Applicants must complete a bachelor’s degree and a master's or JD prior to beginning the program. Applicants may apply prior to completing their master's degree. In this case, please submit your most up-to-date transcripts, and if admitted, submit a second set of official transcripts after your degree is conferred.
- The minimum cumulative Grade Point Average is 3.50 (on a 4.00 scale) in all graduate coursework.
Professional experience is strongly recommended.
After an initial review of applications to the program, the most qualified candidates will be invited to interview with the Leadership Studies faculty. These interviews will be conducted online via Skype or similar face-to-face software program.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all international applicants and may only be waived if English is the applicant’s primary language or if he or she obtained a bachelor’s degree in the U.S., Great Britain, Canada or Australia.
- TOEFL minimum scores:
- Internet-based test: 83
- Computer-based test: 237
- Paper-based test: 580
- IELTS minimum score:
- Band score 7
All application materials, including transcripts, test score reports and letters of recommendation, must be received by the Office of Graduate Admissions by the deadline in order for your application to be considered. View current deadlines for admission.
Application Status and Decisions
To confirm that application materials have been received or to check the status of your application, please log in to the MySanDiego portal with your applicant log-in or contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at (619) 260-4524. Admissions decision letters are sent via US Mail.
Submit all application materials online, or to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of San Diego
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110-2492
For questions about this program or the admissions requirements contact:
Office of Admissions and Outreach
School of Leadership and Education Sciences
University of San Diego
Mother Rosalie Hill Hall 149
Phone: (619) 260-7988