Master of Arts in Leadership Studies
Department of Leadership Studies
Students in the M.A. in Leadership Studies comes to us from a variety of backgrounds and undergraduate majors. Many of our students work full-time or part-time while completing the program, and they include educators, nonprofit professionals, business leaders, educational administrators, consultants, active duty military personnel, and more. Read on to view some profiles of our students and learn more about our alumni outcomes.
Objective Area: Leadership and Development Theories
Outcome 1: Masters candidates will articulate prominent leadership theories in Leadership Studies, analyze and critique these theories, and apply these theories in the course of addressing a variety of organizational issues and problems.
Objective Area: Critical Thinking and Analytical Approaches
Outcome 2: Students will select relevant information, organize and evaluate the information, and apply the information to issues of leadership.
Objective Area: Organizational Systems and Group Dynamics
Outcome 3: Students will demonstrate an understanding of key theories of organizational behavior and change, and to apply these theories in an organizational setting.
Objective Area: Cultural Competency Global Understanding
Outcome 4: Students will critically examine culture other than their own, and apply the knowledge gained in their personal and professional lives.
Objective Area: Self-Awareness
Outcome 5: Graduates will have an ability to reflect upon their own skills and limitations as leaders, evidenced by performance in working with groups.
Graduates of the M.A. in Leadership Studies go on to leadership roles in a wide variety of settings, including in consulting, education, business, nonprofit organizations, and more. Some go on to doctoral study at the University of San Diego or elsewhere. Here is a sample of positions our alumni hold or have held.
- Director of Women's Basketball Operations at Old Dominion University
- Director of Basketball Operations at University of San Diego
- Assistant Director of Athletic Compliance and Student Services at University of San Diego
- CEO/Leader Development Specialist at FLIGHTLEAD Leadership Consulting
- Learning and People Development Manager at Frank, Rimerman & Company
- Senior Account Executive at Concussion LLP
- Vice President - Director at American Bank Montana
- Owner/Director of Lotus Learning
- Director of Organizational Development at GreatCall
- Child Wellness Program Coordinator at San Diego County Speech Pathology Services
- Founder/Managing Director of WilsonsWriters
- Associate Online Research Assistant at Culturati Research & Consulting
- Director of Sales Operations at Nirvanix
- Director and Owner at DramAntiKs, LLC
- Marketing and Public Relations Manager at the San Diego Employers Association
- Senior Account Executive at Southwest Strategies
- Talent Catalyst at VIP Global, LLC
- Director of Development at the Scripps Health Foundation
- Global Operations Associate and Senior Account Manager at Center for Creative Leadership
- International Visitor Leadership Program Manager at Minnesota International Center
- Strategic Account Executive/Human Resources Consultant at Wellspring Family Services
- External Relations Marketing Director at Westminster Woods Camp and Conference Center
- Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Center for Enrollment Research, Policy, and Practice, Rossier School of Education at the University of Southern California
- Academic Advisor at University of New Mexico
- Assistant Professor at University of San Diego
- Associate Director, United Front Multicultural Center at University of San Diego
- Coordinator for Leadership Development, President's Leadership Program, at Christopher Newport University
- Associate Director, Center for Community Service-Learning at University of San Diego
- Principal of Baker Elementary School, San Diego Unified School District
- Executive Director at Stephen W. Hawking Math and Science Charter School
- Assistant Principal of the North Attleboro Public Schools, Massachusetts
- Head of Middle School at Francis Parker School