Department of School, Family and Mental Health Professions
Students in our School Counseling program include individuals planning to counsel students in schools or agencies serving the K-12 population. Our students often have a background in psychology or other social sciences. Read on to learn more about our current students and alumni outcomes.
Graduates of the M.A. in Counseling with a specialization in School Counseling are recommended to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for a Pupil Personnel Services Credential. Some will seek positions as school counselors and others will work in other settings such as nonprofit organizations, governmental agencies, and colleges and universities. No matter their plans, our students can count on the advice and support of our Counseling faculty and our Career Services counselors for assistance with next steps.
Valuable information on the Pupil Personnel Services Credential can be found at the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Our Credential Analyst assists our students in applying to receive this credential from the state.
Read on for a list of some of the jobs our alumni hold and some of the organizations at which they are employed.
Alumni Job Titles
- Professional Elementary School Counselor
- Professional Middle School Counselor
- Professional High School Counselor
- Social Emotional Learning Coordinator
- School Liaison with Mental Health Professionals
- Student Support Services Professional
- Cajon Valley School District
- Poway Unified School District
- San Diego Unified School District
- High Tech High Cluster
- Epiphany Charter School
- Army and Navy Academy
- Juvenile Court and Community Schools
- King Chavez Charter High School
- Springall Academy