Summer and Intersession Office

Drop Shadow

Application of Non-USD Students

All students enrolling in classes at USD must have completed all prerequisites for any class they wish to take before they apply.

For all non-USD students, the Special Student status does not imply admission into a USD program; however, some courses may be applied toward degree requirements if you are later accepted into the university. Acceptance as a Special Student does not guarantee entry into courses; class registration is available on a space available basis.

Undergraduate Students

Individuals not currently enrolled at USD and not holding a baccalaureate degree will be required to provide:

  • Transcript(s) from all post-secondary institutions
  • Letter of Approval from your present institution
  • Undergraduate Special Student Application

The forms are available on the Summer and Intersession Web site at

Graduate Student

Graduate-level courses are open to students holding a bachelor’s degree. Many of USD’s graduate courses are transferable to other graduate programs.

If you have a bachelor’s degree and are not currently enrolled at USD, you may apply as a Special Student through the Office of Graduate Admissions, Serra Hall, Room 202,, (619) 260-4524.

High School Students

High school students who have completed their junior year with at least a “B” average in all college entrance subjects must submit their high school transcripts and a letter of recommendation from their school principal or counselor in addition to the Special Student Application packet (see Undergraduate Students above). High school students may only take one lower-division course (number 100-299) per session.

International Students

International students already enrolled at a U.S. institution can attend Summer and Intersession courses provided that they are in good immigration and academic standing at the school they are currently authorized to attend. The school that issued the student’s I-20 Form must authorize in writing that the student can attend classes at USD.

We are not able to accept and provide initial certificates of visa eligibility (I-20 Forms) to students that will attend USD for Summer or Intersession only. If there are any questions, please call the International Center, (619) 260-4598.

For updated course information and schedules, click here.