The following is the process departments or areas must undergo either to transition an already-existing website to the USD templates or to begin a new website. All transitions will be assigned a Web Team representative who will work exclusively with you to complete this process. To see a completed site within the new design, please refer to the Catholic Social Thought website.
- The department will need to identify a single project lead so we can coordinate work between the department and ITS teams; this person will be responsible for all content, navigation choices, and general site direction.
- Selection of a new URL for your departmental website, if desired. Your current URL can redirected to your new URL, so you will not lose visitors or need to redo business cards if you opt for this change.
- Selection of a preferred home page template. Home page options are available for viewing in the Design section. All departments must use the same content page template for their sites.
- Creation of new drop-down navigation (i.e. information architecture) for your site. Maximum 5 or 6 categories in your navigation (depending on length of navigation items). This determines your primary (horizontal) navigation as well as your secondary (drop-down) navigation. This item will be completed in coordination with your Web Team representative.
- Development of an introductory statement for your website. This will be placed on your home page and serve as a welcome for visitors.
- Selection of 1 - 4 banner images or feature stories for your home page. Please work with Kelly Niebergall in University Relations to make the photo selections.
- Selection of what modules are needed for your home page, if any:
- Social networking (Facebook or Twitter)
- General contact information for your department which will be placed in the left-hand panel of your new site:
- E-mail address
- Office location
- Office hours
- Social networking URLs for your department, if any (otherwise your site will direct visitors to general USD social networking pages).
- Linked In
Once the above is collected and/or confirmed, ITS will create your new site or transition your content into the designated navigation structure and post your new site in a development area for review.
Included will be creation of a staff directory for your department. If desired your department can also undergo a headshot session with an on-campus photographer. Please contact Susana Martin del Campo to schedule a session.
ITS also provides training for maintenance of your new site. We are in a transitionary period with our web content management software, so please confirm your correct training option with your web representative. Day 1 and Day 2 classes are required and dates/times are publicized on the following:
Cascade Server: Register
At the completion of this process your department will have a streamlined website that is more useful for site visitors, is branded like the parent institution, and is easier to maintain.