The following is the process departments or areas must undergo either to transition an already-existing website to the USD templates or to begin a new website. All transitions will be assigned a Web Team representative who will work exclusively with you to complete this process. To see a completed site within the new design, please refer to the Office of the President website.
- The department will need to identify a single project lead so we can coordinate work between the department and ITS teams; this person will be responsible for all content, navigation choices, and general site direction.
- Selection of a new web address (URL) for your departmental website, if desired. Your current URL can redirected to your new URL, so you will not lose visitors or need to redo business cards if you opt for this change. Note that we ensure that URLs are SEO-friendly.
- Selection of a maintainer for your new website. Please see below for required training in order to gain access to the maintenance tool (Cascade Server CMS) for the website.
- Creation of new navigation (i.e. information architecture) for your site. Maximum 6 or 7 categories in your navigation (depending on length of navigation items). This determines your primary (horizontal) navigation as well as your secondary (sub-page) navigation.
- Development of an introductory statement for your website. This will be placed on your home page and serve as a welcome for visitors.
- Review of design options for your new website, including possible home page and interior page layouts. Note that the layouts will be dependent on the content and imagery you supply for your new site.
- Selection of 1 banner images or feature stories for your home page. Please work with University Communications to make the photo selections. In addition you can check the USD Gallery for professional photography provided by the university for web and print purposes.
- Selection of what modules are needed for your home page, if any:
- Social networking (Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram)
- General contact information for your department which will be placed in the left-hand panel of your new site:
- E-mail address
- Office location
- Office hours
- Social networking URLs for your department, if any (otherwise your site will direct visitors to general USD social networking pages).
- Included will be creation of a staff directory for your department. If desired your department can also undergo a headshot session with an on-campus photographer. Please contact Susana Martin del Campo to schedule a session.
- Content for your new website.
Once the above is collected and/or confirmed, ITS will create your new site or transition your content into the designated navigation structure and post your new site in a development area for review. No work will commence unless we receive the content intended for your new home page and any interior pages.
Content Management Training
ITS also provides training for maintenance of your new site. The USD website is maintained via the Cascade Server Content Management System (CMS). Dates/times are publicized on the following:
Cascade Server: Register
At the completion of this process your department will have a streamlined website that is more useful for site visitors, is branded like the parent institution, and is easier to maintain.