Role of the Provost
There have been only four Provosts since the 1972 merger of San Diego University and San Diego College for Women. In these 44 years USD has evolved substantially. Our fifth Provost will inherit the energy and momentum built by these predecessors.
As USD’s Chief Academic Officer, the Provost leads the College of Arts and Sciences, the graduate and professional schools, and the university library in their pursuit of academic excellence. The Provost reports directly to the President, working with him to create an energized campus climate, in which all are encouraged to strive for even greater excellence.
The Provost works closely with the Board of Trustees, and especially with its Academic Affairs Committee. There has been a strong partnership between the Provost and the Chair of that Committee, with frequent conversations of real candor, exploration of issues and exchange of ideas. The Provost is part of the Executive Council (composed of the President and the other Vice Presidents; bios of the leadership team are provided on USD’s website), and of the Cabinet (also chaired by the President and includes the Deans, University Senate representatives, and others). The Provost chairs the Deans’ Council (composed of the Deans and other direct reports, meeting every three or four weeks). The President, Provost and Deans of the Schools and Colleges are members of the University Senate, and the Provost is an active participant in the Senate, which has 34 members.
Deans are appointed for four- or five-year terms, with regular performance reviews. They are:
- Dr. Noelle Norton, College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Chell Roberts, Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering
- Dr. Stephen Ferruolo, School of Law
- Dr. Nicholas Ladany, School of Leadership and Education Sciences
- Dr. Jaime Alonso Gómez, School of Business
- Dr. Sally Brosz Hardin, Hahn School of Nursing & Health Science and Beyster Institute for Nursing Research
- Dr. Patricia Márquez, Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies
- Dr. Jason Lemon, School of Professional and Continuing Education
- Dr. Theresa Byrd, Helen K. and James S. Copley Library
Search for Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 260-4600