School of Peace Studies
Contact: Marisa Alioto
Phone: (619) 260-7929
Fax: (619) 849-8109
Location: KIPJ Room 113
Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Master of Arts in Peace and Justice Studies
Do you want to be an effective agent of peace and social justice? The Master of Arts in Peace and Justice Studies prepares students to understand and address situations of conflict, injustice, violence, and oppression. In the program participants learn about successes and failures in peacebuilding, expanding the imagination of what is possible to create a better world.
Since students come from diverse backgrounds and have different levels of experiences, the program is offered on a 12 or 17-month track.
What to Expect
The Master of Arts in Peace and Justice Studies is a flexible program that gives you the core knowledge and capabilities to be an effective peacebuilder, while encouraging you to build expertise in your own interest area within the larger field of peace and justice. Examples include human rights, conflict analysis and resolution, human trafficking, religion and peacebuilding, development and human security, environmental justice, peace education and social entrepreneurship.
Potential areas of interest: human rights, advocacy, restorative justice, conflict analysis and resolution, human trafficking, religion and peacebuilding, development and human security, environmental justice, peace education and social entrepreneurship.
Through the MA program students will:
- Learn how to analyze the complex and multi-faceted causes of contemporary conflicts.
- Develop knowledge and capabilities to address conflicts and injustice in different contexts.
- Expand skills in quantitative reasoning and impact assessment.
- Increase self-awareness and cultural awareness as peacebuilders Acquire leadership skills.
- Turn ideas into action by participating in project-based learning and internships.
- Have access to seed funding and coaching to become peace innovators and social entrepreneurs.
- Obtain guidance and mentorship for career paths in peace and social justice.
At the Kroc School, we educate for transformative impact. Our holistic learning model blends theory and practice. Our faculty practice what they teach, and classes are infused with meaningful, real-world opportunities to address challenging local and global issues.