WorldLink for Youth
Institute for Peace and Justice
Contact: Debbie Martinez
Phone: (619) 260-7568
Fax: (619) 260-7570
Location: KIPJ Room 130
Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice
WorldLink Youth Town Meeting
Each year, more than 700 high school students participate in WorldLink's Youth Town Meeting (YTM), where they meet with representatives from public and private organizations. YTMs are grounded in the belief that youth have much to offer and much to gain from discussion with experts and professionals regarding the complexities and challenges of international affairs.
Read more about the student-selected YTM themes in the WorldLink Reader.
WorldLink 18th Annual Youth Town Meeting
"Healing the Wounds of Violence"
University of San Diego
This event is by invitation only. If you'd like to get involved as a student, volunteer or sponsor, please e-mail Debbie M. Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to be a Moderator, Journalist or Photographer
High school students who would like to take a leadership role during the YTM are encouraged to sign up as a conference moderator, journalist or photographer.
Moderators are responsible for:
- running the conference briefing sessions
- introducing their assigned speaker(s)
- keeping the speaker(s) to his/her allotted time
- running the Question & Answer period
- maintaining the flow and mediating discussions
Journalists/Photographers are given a press pass during the YTM and are responsible for:
- documenting the various sessions and day's activities, under the direction of the student Editor-In-Chief (students interested in applying for the Editor-In-Chief position, please see WorldLink Spring Internship.)
- producing article(s)/photos that will make up WorldLink's 16-page newspaper - a publication distributed to more than 2,000 students, teachers, community leaders, donors, and potential donors all over the world.
Applications. Students interested in applying to be a moderator, journalist or photographer must e-mail an essay to Debbie M. Martinez at email@example.com including:
- Name, School, Grade, Email address.
- Which position are you interested in and why? Why do you believe you are qualified?
- Of all the topics we are delving into this year, which one are you most interested in and why?
- Have you attended a WorldLink Youth Town Meeting before? If so, please state your past role (student delegate, moderator, journalist or photographer.)
- Journalist/Photographer applicants: Would you like to be a copy/photo editor and/or a Spanish translator during the Spring semester?
Apply to Volunteer
If you are interested in taking part in this incredible event, please contact Debbie M. Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a great opportunity for our community to serve as mentors for high school students from San Diego and Baja Mexico, and to connect with leading experts in the field of international affairs. Breakfast and lunch are provided for volunteers on the day of the event.
Volunteer Time Slots:
All day (strongly preferred): 6:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Morning: 6:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Afternoon: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Sponsor a School
To respond to the economic crisis that has deeply affected local school budgets on both sides of the border, WorldLink is seeking school sponsorships. A $2,000 donation covers a school delegation’s (30 students, 2 chaperones) transportation, breakfast, lunch, conference materials, and a contribution toward a guest speaker’s travels. To sponsor a school or partially support our program, please contact Debbie M. Martinez at email@example.com.