2008 Women PeaceMakers Conference -
"Crafting Human Security in an Insecure World"
September 24-26, 2008
|Video||Photo Gallery||Blog||Speakers||Final Report|
An international working conference to probe and address global acquiescence to impunity, gender violence and exclusion that continues to obstruct peacebuilding and deny human security.
• Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice
• Global Justice Center
• Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed
• United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM)
• United Nations International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women (UN-INSTRAW)
Crafting Human Security in an Insecure World comes at a time when social and structural injustices are fanning the flames of human insecurity, particularly those in conflict and post-conflict arenas. This working conference brings together those on the forefront of informing, creating or facilitating the training and mandates that must be active to overcome rampant human rights abuses and the brutality of conflict-related sexual violence.
Successful strategies for overcoming cycles of conflict and exploitation will be illuminated and expanded. Panel discussions and working sessions will address:
- Ending cycles of conflict through gender-inclusive peacebuilding.
- Addressing the scale and scope of sexual violence in conflict.
- Advancing inclusive security in multiple settings.
- Enforcing gender equality laws and mandates as central to peace and security.