Institute for Peace and Justice
Contact: Jennifer Freeman
Phone: (619) 260-7569
Fax: (619) 260-7570
Location: KIPJ Room 121
Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice
Women PeaceMakers are paired with Peace Writers to document in written form their story of living in conflict and building peace in their communities and nations. Peace Writers interview their PeaceMakers daily and produce a document that includes narrative stories and complementary components, such as a historical summary of the conflict and a table of best practices in peacebuilding as demonstrated by the work of the PeaceMaker.
Meet the Peace Writers
- 2015 Peace Writers
- 2014 Peace Writers
- 2013 Peace Writers
- 2012 Peace Writers
- 2011 Peace Writers
- 2010 Peace Writers
- 2009 Peace Writers
- 2008 Peace Writers
- 2007 Peace Writers
- 2006 Peace Writers
- 2005 Peace Writers
- 2004 Peace Writers
- 2003 Peace Writers
- Graduate degree or current enrollment in a graduate program related to peace studies, conflict analysis, human rights, international relations, gender studies, narrative writing, journalism or communications.
- Excellent writing and analytic skills.
- Experience in interviewing or interacting with others in an intercultural setting, including communicating with people for whom English is a second language.
- Ability to meet regular deadlines and produce a 30 to 80-page document in 10 weeks.
- Willingness to submit work to an institute editor and program staff for feedback and remarks.
- Willingness to share an office with three other writers.
- Willingness to work flexible hours and attend all program-related events, including some evenings and weekends.
Questions? Email Jennifer Freeman.
" ... for you here in the Joan B. Kroc Institute where you have your women writers, you do not know how powerful that is. You are writing women into history. You are making sure their stories are not forgotten. You are making sure those stories are passed on to the next generation."
- Monica McWilliams, Chief Commissioner, Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission