School of Peace Studies
Phone: (619) 260-7919
Fax: (619) 849-8109
Location: KIPJ Room 113
Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
About the Kroc School
- PhD, International Economic Development, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- MCP, International Development, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- MS, Geography, University of New Mexico
- BA, Philosophy and French Literature, Swarthmore College
Topher McDougal is Associate Professor in Economic Development & Peacebuilding at the Kroc School of Peace Studies at the University of San Diego. He is also Research Affiliate at the Centre on Conflict, Development, & Peacebuilding (CCDP) at the Graduate Institute for International & Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland and a Principal of the newly-formed Small Arms Data Observatory (SADO). His research focuses broadly on the microeconomic causes and consequences of armed violence, including rural-urban trade patterns in conflict-affected societies; illicit trades, especially in small arms; and urban violence.
An economic geographer by training, Topher has consulted for various organizations including the World Bank, Mercy Corps, Humanitarian Policy & Conflict Research (HPCR) International, and the International Rescue Committee (IRC), on private sector development, urban economics, public finance in postwar and developing countries, and economic cost of violence. His articles have appeared in Economic Geography; Political Geography; Economics of Peace & Security Journal; Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy; Law & Development Review; Stability; Business, Peace, and Sustainable Development; among others.
Topher has a PhD in International Economic Development from MIT's International Development Group. Topher also has a Master of International Development (MIT), an MS in Geography (University of New Mexico), a BA in Philosophy (Swarthmore College), and a graduate certificate in Humanitarian Studies (Harvard Humanitarian Initiative).
To access Topher's blog, click here: http://resourcecurse.wordpress.com/.
Areas of Interest:
• Research and evaluation design
• Detection and quantification of illicit trades (small arms, sex trafficking)
• Economic causes and consequences of conflict
• Rural-urban, intra-urban, and inter-urban violence
• McDougal, Topher L. and Raul Caruso. “Is there a relationship between wartime violence and postwar agricultural development outcomes? The case of concessions and community grants in Mozambique,” Political Geography 50 (2015). DOI: 10.1016/j.polgeo.2015.09.001.
• McDougal, Topher L. “Some Observations on the Practical Peace Scholar,” Business, Peace, and Sustainable Development 5 (2015).
• McDougal, Topher L., Talia Hagerty, Lisa Inks, Claire-Lorentz Ugo-Ike, Caitriona Dowd, Stone Conroy, and Daniel Ogabiela]. “The Effect of Farmer-Pastoralist Violence on Income: New Survey Evidence from Nigeria’s Middle Belt States,” 1 Economics of Peace and Security Journal 10 (2015).
• McDougal, Topher L., Talia Hagerty, Lisa Inks, Claire-Lorentz Ugo-Ike, Caitriona Dowd, and Stone Conroy. “The Macroeconomic Benefits of Farmer-Pastoralist Peace in Nigeria’s Middle Belt: An Input-Output Analysis Approach,” 1 Economics of Peace and Security Journal 10, (2015).
• McDougal, Topher L. and Lars Almquist. “The Effects of Agricultural Cooperatives on Land Conflicts, Violence, and Community Trust: Household-Level Evidence from Rural Burundi,” 2 Economics of Peace and Security Journal 9 (2014).
• McDougal, Topher L., David A. Shirk, Robert Muggah, and John H. Patterson. “The Way of the Gun: Estimating Firearms Traffic Across the U.S.-Mexico Border”], Economic Geography, 2014.
• Conroy, Stephen J. and Topher L. McDougal. “Addressing the Call for Leadership for Peace and Prosperity,” Business, Peace, and Sustainable Development 3 (2014).
• McDougal, Topher L. “Stability and the Economy: Cooperative Game Theoretic Implications for Economic Policy in a Dual-Sector Economy,” 2 Stability: International Journal of Security and Development, 2 (2013).
• McDougal, Topher L. “Law of the Landless: The Dalit Bid for Land Redistribution in Gujarat, India,” 1 Law & Development Review 4 (2011).
• McDougal, Topher L. “Predation and Production in a Core-Periphery Model: A Note,” 1 Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy 17 (2011).
• Development & Peacebuilding
• Program Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation
Email | email@example.com
Phone | (619) 260-7927
Office | KIPJ 275
Thursdays: 8:30-12; 1-2:30