WorldLink Youth Town Meeting
Organizing locally to unite globally.
WorldLink's Youth Town Meeting is grounded in the belief that youth have much to offer and much to gain from discussion with experts and professionals regarding the complexities and challenges of international affairs. That's why each year more than 700 high school students participate in the YTM, where they meet with representatives from public and private organizations.
WorldLink 20th Annual Youth Town Meeting, "Gender Equality"
Addressing five subtopics: Gender, Leadership and Participation, Sustainable Development, Gender-Based Violence, and Peace and Security
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Check-in opens at 7:15 a.m. | 8:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
University of San Diego
This event is by invitation only. If you'd like to get involved as a student, volunteer or sponsor, please email Program Officer Tina Medina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to be a Moderator, Journalist or Photographer
High school students who would like to take a leadership role during the YTM are encouraged to sign up as a conference moderator, journalist or photographer.
Moderators are responsible for:
- running the conference briefing sessions
- introducing their assigned speaker(s)
- keeping the speaker(s) to his/her allotted time
- running the question-and-answer period
- maintaining the flow of and mediating discussions
- documenting the various sessions and day's activities, under the direction of the student Editor-In-Chief, utilizing creative genius in imagery, journalistic and creative writing, and interviewing.
- producing article(s)/photos that will make up WorldLink's post-YTM publication, highlighting the event, the participants and speakers, and lessons learned.
Applications: Students interested in applying to be a moderator, journalist or photographer must email an essay to Tina Medina at email@example.com by Friday, Dec. 9, 2016 at 4 p.m. The essay should include the following:
- Name, School, Grade, Email Address.
- Which position are you interested in and why? Why do you believe you are qualified?
- Of all the topics we are delving into this year, which one are you most interested in and why?
- Have you attended a WorldLink Youth Town Meeting before? If so, please state your past role (student delegate, moderator, journalist or photographer).
- Journalist/Photographer applicants: Would you like to be a copy/photo editor and/or Spanish translator during the Spring semester?
Important Dates for Applicants
Friday, Dec. 9, 2016
Deadline for application essays
Sunday, Jan. 15, 2017
Moderator Training (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.), Journalist and Photographer Training (2 - 4 p.m.)
Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017
WorldLink 20th Annual Youth Town Meeting
Apply to Volunteer
If you are interested in taking part in this incredible event, please contact Tina Medina at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a great opportunity for our community to serve as mentors for high school students from San Diego and Baja Mexico, and to connect with leading experts in the field of international affairs. Breakfast and lunch are provided for volunteers on the day of the event.
Volunteer Time Slots:
All day (strongly preferred): 6:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Morning: 6:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Afternoon: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Sponsor a School
To respond to the economic crisis that has deeply affected local school budgets on both sides of the border, WorldLink is seeking school sponsorships. A $2,000 donation covers a school delegation's (30 students, 2 chaperones) transportation, breakfast, lunch, conference materials and a contribution toward a guest speaker's travels. To sponsor a school or partially support our program, please contact Program Officer Tina Medina at email@example.com.