Checklist for applying for an F-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate
- Form I-20, issued in SEVIS by the school's Principle Designated School Official (PDSO) or Designated School Official (DSO)
- Proof of having paid the SEVIS FEE
- Documentation of financial ability to meet expenses
- Evidence of English ability sufficient for exchange program
- Evidence of intent to depart the U.S. after completion of studies
- Passport valid for at least six months
- Form DS-156, "Nonimmigrant Visa Application"
- Form DS-157, if applicable
- Form DS-158
- Machine Readable Visa (MRV) surcharge fee
- Visa reciprocity fee, if applicable
Students can enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the I-20 program start date. As of February 14, 2006: The United States has extended the length of time foreign students may be issued student visas, and will issue student visas up to 120 days before classes begin. Please click for more information.
Arriving in the United States
Click here to link to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website and find out what to expect when you arrive in the U.S.