International students and visiting scholars at the University of San Diego (USD) must select one of the following two options to fulfill the health insurance requirement.
1. ENROLL in the USD International Health Insurance Plan
Students have the option of enrolling in the USD International Health Insurance plan, coordinated through USD’s provider Gallagher Koster. Please refer to the resources below to familiarize yourself with the USD International Health Insurance plan:
- Please click here to view the current price list and benefits summary. Note that student accounts are automatically billed for the USD International Health Insurance Plan, based on the current price list, at the start of each semester.
- Please click here to review frequently asked questions and detailed plan information.
- Please click here to determine whether you are eligible for the USD International Health Insurance Plan.
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions regarding enrollment.
*Please Note: U.S. permanent residents and individuals on non-student visas (including the H-1B visa) are not eligible to enroll in the USD International Health Insurance plan.
2. WAIVE the USD Health Insurance Requirement
Spring 2014 Waiver Deadline: Friday, February 7, 2014
Students who choose to waive the USD health insurance requirement must do so at the start of each academic year (or their first semester at USD if starting in the Spring). Without submitting the online health insurance waiver each year, USD cannot waive the health insurance fee. Therefore, students who fail to submit the waiver by the posted deadline will be automatically enrolled and billed via their USD student account.
Students may choose to waive the USD health insurance requirement with a comparable insurance plan only if this plan includes ALL of the following features:
- Effective throughout the semester and renewable for continuous coverage
- Minimum dollar coverage of $100,000 per illness or injury
- Include outpatient care (doctor visits, outpatient surgery, etc.)
- Include hospitalization
- Repatriation for at least $10,000
- Medical evacuation for at least $25,000
Note for Athletes: Student athletes participating in club or NCAA sports are NOT eligible to waive the USD health insurance requirement and therefore must enroll in the USD International Health Insurance Plan, which includes special provisions for athletes.
Note for Students with Embassy-Sponsored Plans: Students with embassy/cultural mission-sponsored health insurance plans are not required to complete the online waiver but must provide the OISS a copy of a financial guarantee or embassy insurance card at time of immigration check-in.
Foreign Insurance Plans: Please refer to this document to review a list of insurance companies that have been used by former USD international students to waive the USD International Health Insurance plan. Since we are not affiliated with any of these companies, we make no guarantee for their services. This list was assembled solely for the consideration of students who wish to waive the USD International Health Insurance plan.
ONLINE WAIVER INSTRUCTIONS
Students will not be able to waive the USD International Health Insurance plan until they have registered for classes for the upcoming semester.
To access the online waiver, please follow the instructions below:
- Gather all insurance documents - this information is required to fill out the online waiver
- Visit this link to create an account with Gallagher-Koster (Note: a USD Student ID number is required to create an account)
- Click on "Student Waiver Form” on the left side panel and fill out personal information to create an account
- Click on "Student Waiver Form" again and select “Waiver Form”
- Answer all questions and click submit to complete the waiver
- Print Confirmation Page
- Student accounts are automatically billed for the USD International Health Insurance plan each semester. However, once the online waiver is complete and the USD International Center receives a report documenting this information, the insurance charges on the account will be reversed. Please note that this process may take up to 2 weeks.
ARE YOU PLANNING TO STUDY ABROAD FOR A SEMESTER OR A YEAR?
Students who study abroad through a USD program pay for health insurance coverage as part of their study abroad fees. If you are planning to study abroad, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with the Office of International Students and Scholars about refunding your health insurance charges for your time abroad. Note that students studying abroad in their home country (example: a Korean student studying abroad at a Korean exchange university) are excluded from this and must remain enrolled in the USD International Health Insurance plan or complete the online waiver for their term abroad.