Office of International Students and Scholars

Drop Shadow

Obtaining a J-1 Visa


USD Students and Scholars


Once you have received your Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, the next step is to apply for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa for yourself and your dependents, if applicable.  You will need to make an appointment for an interview with a Consular Officer at an American Embassy or Consulate in the city where you reside.  

Please refer to the checklist below for documents that you must bring to your interview. Please note that depending on the specific embassy or consulate you apply to, you may be required to provide additional documents in support of your application.  For additional guidance, please refer to information found on your embassy or consulate's website.

Items to Bring to Your Interview

For information, please refer to the U.S. Department of State website.