Clinical Placement Clinical Dress Code
Student Dress Code
Students MUST adhere to the dress code established by the San Diego Nursing Service and Education Consortium and the USD Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science when they are in a clinical setting. The guidelines below are minimum requirements expected of faculty and students for pre-clinical and clinical assignments. In addition, schools understand that facilities may require affiliating faculty and students to adhere to a facility-specific dress code.
Clinical: Your uniform will consist of ceil blue scrubs, all white leather shoes, watch with a second hand, stethoscope, pen light, bandage scissors, black pen and clinical ID badge.
- Picture identification badge with name that meets the guidelines of AB 1439, which amended Chapter 1 of Division 2 of the Business and Professional Code of the State of California. Some facilities require both student and facility badges, or may allow either student or facility.
- Clean scrub set with USD School of Nursing logo (ceil blue). Scrubs are required in the lab.
- A lab coat with the USD School of Nursing logo must be worn over scrubs when representing USD at health fairs, shot clinics and in the community setting.
- Clean, low-heeled white leather shoes, with closed toes and closed heels. Clogs must have a closed back. Athletic, all white, leather shoes may be worn. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Jewelry: Only wedding or simple rings and limited to one per hand. No piercings or jewelry/hardware may be evident other than one small stud earring per ear. No bracelets.
- Hair color must fall within natural occurring shades, be neat, and if long enough to rest on shoulders it must be secured back. Facial hair must be neatly trimmed.
- Tattoos must be covered at all times in the clinical, lab & community setting.
- Fingernails must be trimmed short. Clear polish without chips is acceptable. No artificial or acrylic nails or components thereof are permitted.
- Make up is to be worn in moderation.
- No perfumes or scented lotions.
- No low necklines.
- Undergarments cannot be visible through the uniform. A white tee shirt may be worn underneath the scrub top as long as length does not exceed the elbow.