Health Requirement Information
Health Requirement List
Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science
University of San Diego
- DTP (diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis, childhood vaccination): 3 doses followed by a Tdap booster within the last 10 years. Positive pertussis titer documentation will be accepted in lieu of documentation of three doses of the childhood DTP vaccination. CDC recommendations require that at least one Tdap vaccination be given after age 11 for regularly scheduled boosters.
- MMR (measles-mumps-rubella): 2 doses since 1968 (or positive titer)
- Hepatitis A: 2 doses (Must have 1 dose completed prior to entering the program and the second dose within 6 – 12 months. If the combined hepatitis A and hepatitis B vaccine is used, 3 doses are required at 0, 1, and 6 months)
- Hepatitis B: 3 doses (Must have 2 doses, at the very least, completed prior to entering the program then 1 can be completed during year 1 of the program, it is strongly recommended to have all 3 completed prior to starting the program) or positive titer
- Varicella (chickenpox): 2 doses (or positive titer) (will not accept note from doctor verifying chicken pox. You must have blood tested for a positive titer)
- Release of Information form: (Click Here)
- TB skin test: two-step test once a year (if negative). If the skin test is positive must have letter from doctor (or survey) saying that you are asymptomatic and a chest x-ray every 2 years. Blood test not accepted.
- Certification of good health (Physical Exam): once a year (example: if you received the physical on 2/25/2007 then it would expire on 2/25/2008, you would need another before 2/25/2008) (Click Here)
- BLS (basic life support) current certification (for healthcare providers, which includes CPR and AED for Adult/Child/Infant): renewed every 1 or 2 years. Please take the class at the American Heart Association entitled "BLS Healthcare Provider Course". Information can be accessed here. This ensures that we are in compliance with regulations enforced by the facilities where clinical rotations are scheduled.
- Influenza: students must get the influenza vaccine annually during the Fall Semester.
- Background Check & Drug Screen: students must have a clear criminal background check & drug screen to participate in placement in clinical facilities. Information & instructions for completing the background check process can be accessed at: www.sdnsebackground.com. You & USD/SON will receive a confirmation e-mail indicating the investigation is in progress.
- HIPAA Training: Students must complete HIPAA training through the USD Hahn School of Nursing & Health Science, go to website: click here. Submit the certificate of completion for this training to American DataBank for processing.
- CA Nursing License: Post-Licensure students must have a current California RN License while at USD.