Nursing Theory and Research
Nursing Theory and Research
The Nursing Theory Page is a collaborative effort by an international group. We are interested in developing a collection of resources about nursing theories throughout the world. The project began on 21 May 96 and will always be a work in progress.
The Nursing Theory Page simply links pages built and maintained by others who have knowledge about a theory.
If you would like to contribute a page, but haven't yet built a web page, that barrier can be overcome. Let's talk about your ideas. Please send us a note.
- Nursing Theories
- Mid-Range Nursing Theories
- Nursing Models
- Related Links
- Can't find the theory
you're looking for?
- Works in Progress
- Discussion Forums
- Teaching Tools
- Other Nursing
- Copyright Information
- Références en français
Nursing Theories |^ Top
Imogene King General Systems Theory
Faye Glenn Abdellah:
- NLM: Finding Aid to the Faye Glenn Abdellah Papers, 1952-1989
- NurseScribe© Abdellah page
Erickson, Tomlin & Swain
- Modeling & Role-Modeling Theory (MRM)
- Tribute to Virginia Avernal Henderson (1897-1996) and annotated bibliography from the Interagency Council on Information Resources for Nursing (ICIRN)
Myra Estrin Levine The Conservation Model
- Levine bibliography
Margaret A. Newman
Ida Jean Orlando
Rosemarie Rizzo Parse
Josephine Paterson and Loretta Zderad
Hildegard E. Peplau
Martha E. Rogers
- The Society of Rogerian Scholars
- The Science of Unitary Human Beings
- Vision: The Journal of Rogerian Nursing Science (free of charge journals)
Sister Callista Roy
Jean Watson: Theory of Caring in Nursing
Ruth A. Wittmann-Price
International Orem Society for Nursing Science and Scholarship
Mid-Range Nursing Theories |^ Top
- Marie-Luise Friedemann: Framework of Systemic Organization
- Christina Sieloff: Theory of Group Power within Organizations
- Katharine Kolcaba: Theory of Comfort
- Ramona T. Mercer: Maternal Role Attainment
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses: The AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care
Nursing Models |^ Top
Related Links |^ Top
- Bonnie W. Duldt-Battey's Humanistic Nursing Communication Theory
- Husted and Husted's Symphonological Bioethical Theory
- The International Association for Human Caring
- Nola J. Pender's website
- Nursing Philosophy list
- Virginia Henderson's 14 Components to Nursing Care
Can't find the theory you're looking for? |^ Top
Unfortunately, we haven't yet found or created an Internet presence for some theorists. We have had mail from nurses looking for websites for Dorothy Johnson and Marilyn Friedman's Family Nursing Model. Pages for Joyce Travelbee and Joyce Fitzpatrick are under construction. If you are knowledgeable about a theory and would like to create and maintain a page, please contact us to discuss your ideas.
If you know of a website that we should link, please let us know.
Works in Progress |^ Top
Check back at a later date.
Nursing Theory Conferences |^ Top
Discussion Forums for Nursing Theory |^ Top
- The Comfort Line
- PARSE-L (Parse's theory of human becoming)
- SCDNT (Orem Nursing Theory Forum)
- Other nursing discussion forums
Teaching Tools |^ Top
Kelli Rosenthal's Nursing Theorists Crossword Puzzle on ResourceNurse
Resources |^ Top
- Nursing Theorists: Portraits of Excellence
- Nursing Theorists: Portraits of Excellence, Vol 2 (2008). Athens, Ohio: Fitne, Inc. (this is video interviews of 6 theorists)
- Nursing Theorists: Portraits of Excellence, Vol 3 (2016). Athens, Ohio: Fitne, Inc. (this is video interviews of 6 theorists)
Books & Other References |^ Top
Some book recommendations we've received (please tell us about others)
- Alligood, M.R. (2014). Nursing Theory: Utilization & Application, 5th edition. St. Louis: Mosby-Elsevier.
- Alligood, M.R. (2017 in press). Nursing Theorists and Their Work, 9th edition. St. Louis: Elsevier.
- Philosophical and Theoretical Perspectives for Advanced Nursing Practice (4th Ed). Jones & Bartlett Pub
- Davidson, A. (2011). Nursing, Caring, and Complexity Science: For Human-Environment Well Being. New York; Springer Publishing Company
- Duffy, J. (2008). Quality Caring in Nursing: Applying Theory to Clinical Practice, Education, and Leadership. New York; Springer Publishing Company
- Hardin, S. & Kaplow, R. (2005). Synergy for Clinical Excellence: The AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care. ISBN 13: 9780763726010 ; ISBN 10: 076372601X . Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Hills, M. & Watson, J. (2011). Creating a Caring Science Curriculum: An Emancipatory Pedagogy for Nursing. New York; Springer Publishing Company
- Jarrín, O. F. (2007). AQAL: Journal of Integral Theory and Practice, 2(4), 79-101.
- Keegan, L. & Drick, A. (2010). End of Life: Nursing Solutions for Death with Dignity. New York; Springer Publishing Company
- Koerner, J. G. (2011). Healing Presence: The Essence of Nursing, 2nd Ed. New York; Springer Publishing Company
- Alligood, M.R. (in press, due 2013). Nursing Theorists and Their Work, 8th edition. St. Louis: Mosby.
- Meleis, A. I. (2007). Theoretical Nursing : Development and Progress. (4th ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott.
- Nelson, J. & Watson, J. (2011). Measuring Caring:International Research on Caritas as Healing. New York; Springer Publishing Company
- Nightingale, F. (1996 edition). Notes on Nursing. Dover Pubns. ISBN: 048622340XParker, M. (2006). Nursing Theorists and Their Application in Practice (2nd ed). Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.
- Parker, M. E. (2006). Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice. (2nd Ed.). Philadelphia: FA Davis.
- Peterson, S. J. & Bredow, T. S. (2013). Middle Range Theories: Application to Nursing Theory, 3rd Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Purnell, L. (2008). Transcultural Health Care (3rd ed). Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.
- Sieloff, C. L. & Frey, M. (2007). Middle range theories from within Imogene King’s Interacting Systems Framework. New York: Springer
- Sitzman, K.L. and Eichelberger, L. W. (2016) . Understanding the work of nurse theorists: A creative beginning, Boston; Jones and Bartlett
- Walker, L. O. & Avant, K. C. (2005). (4th Edition). Strategies for Theory Construction in Nursing Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Watson, J. (2008). Assessing and Measuring Caring in Nursing and Health Science. New York; Springer Publishing Company
Other Nursing Theory Sites |^ Top
The Nursing Theory Link Page at Clayton College and State University Department of Nursing