Vision and Mission
International Nursing Office
Director: Dr. Linda Urden, APRN, FAAN
To provide culturally competent and evidence-based health care and services to vulnerable populations around the world, foster a lifelong commitment to social responsibility and compassionate service, and promote advances in health care in communities served.
In congruence with University guidelines, our mission is to:
- Provide evidence-based health services and education to meet the unique needs of vulnerable populations across the life-span internationally.
- Ensure that students and faculty are culturally competent in caring for diverse populations.
- Bring people together by working collaboratively while sharing perspectives and fostering cultural understanding.
- Explore international opportunities that are congruent with faculty expertise and available resources.
- Ensure cultural competency integration throughout the curriculum.
- Integrate the International Nursing Program with USD International Center and Community Service Learning and partner with other schools as appropriate.
- Investigate and design research or evidence-based practice projects that address health disparities and identified needs of the populations served.
- Identify needs and provide services designed to foster health promotion, health maintenance, disease prevention and sustainability.
- Provide opportunities for personal and professional development to enhance nursing leadership and service.
- Increase numbers of students embarking on global health professions and opportunities for transition of classroom knowledge to the field through mentored clinical experiences.
- Support development of web/intranet based teaching tools and methods for sharing of information.
- Create international course elective/other teaching materials.
- Obtain funding for global health care initiatives and research.
- Facilitate international partnerships for education, practice, and research with peer institutions and study-abroad consortia that facilitate enrollment and that are sustainable and replicable.
Provide each student an opportunity to explore through self reflection their personal and professional growth.