Phone: (619) 260-7607
Featured USD Experts
Associate Professor & Director, DNP & NP Programs
School of Nursing
Advanced Practice Nursing
Chronic Illnesses/ NP Education/Clinical Research,
Shelley Yerger Hawkins, PhD, FNP-BC, GNP, FAANP, is an associate professor of Nursing and director of the Doctor of Nursing Practice and Master of Science in Nursing Nurse Practitioner Programs.
Dr. Hawkins completed a fellowship for Prevention and Management of Chronic Illnesses at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2009. She received her PhD, MSN, and BSN at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Additionally, she completed post-Master’s certificates as an FNP at the University of Virginia and a GNP at the University of Texas Medical Branch.
Her research is focused on using various telemedicine devices to improve the health of older adults and to deliver behavioral and clinical interventions for older adults with diabetes.
Previously, Dr. Hawkins held nurse faculty positions at Yale University, the University of Alabama at Birmingham, the University of Virginia, and Auburn University. She was also employed in a corporate position with All About Advanced Health as Senior Director of Clinical Services, providing expertise regarding chronic illnesses and telehealth. Dr. Hawkins has extensive faculty and administrative experience in both graduate and undergraduate nursing programs with specialization in curriculum development with advanced practice nursing.
She has been funded for several training grants to support student and faculty development in nurse practitioner education. Dr. Hawkins has presented and published extensively on various topics related to advanced practice nursing education and chronic illness prevention and management. She has maintained a part-time practice as a FNP/GNP throughout the last 15+ years in primary care rural settings and telemedicine, and is a Fellow in the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- PhD, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Nursing Education/Administration
- Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate, University of Virginia
- Geriatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate, University of Texas Medical Branch
- MSN, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Adult Health/Nursing Education
- BSN, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Hawkins, S. Y. (2012). Telehealth nurse practitioner student clinical experiences: An essential educational component of today’s nursing education. Nurse Education Today. 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.03.008.
- Hawkins, S. Y. & Domingue, A. (2012). Nursing home residents’ challenges with socialization: Nurses can help. British Journal of Nursing, 21(19), 855-859.
- Hawkins, S. Y. (2010). Improving glycemic control in older adults using a videophone motivational diabetes self-management intervention. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice, 24(4), 217-232.
- Hawkins, S. Y., Palmer, M. H., Park, J., & Wiesen, C. (2010). Educational interests about urinary incontinence among diabetic and non-diabetic heart failure patients. Journal of Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing, 37(5), 536-541.