Phone: (619) 260-4102
Featured USD Experts
Professor of Accountancy & TaxationProfessor of Accountancy & Taxation
Director of Undergraduate Programs
Tom Dalton is a professor of Accounting and Taxation at the University of San Diego where he serves as the Director of Underegraduate Programs. He served as the associate dean in the School of Business Administration from January 2000 until June 2004 and was designated as the Steber Professor for the 2003-2004 academic year. He has published numerous tax planning articles in professional journals and tax related research studies in academic journals. He is a Certified Public Accountant and, prior to entering academia, was a tax consultant for Touche Ross & Co. (now Deloitte and Touche).
Recent consulting activities include financial analysis of publicly traded corporations for Gradient Analytics, expert testimony on educational issues, and individual and business tax planning. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of the California Society of CPA's San Diego Chapter, and is a past president of the San Diego Chapter. He teaches courses in financial statement analysis, individual tax, corporate tax, partnership tax, and retirement planning. Dalton also organizes, writes course materials, and teaches for the yearly Tax Boot Camp (co-sponsored by USD and the CalCPA San Diego Chapter).
- PhD, Accounting, University of Houston
- MS, Business Administration/Accounting, San Diego State University
- BS, Environmental Health, San Diego State University
- Whitney, G., Dalton, T.(2008). A non-profit university and a for-profit consulting company partner to offer a new master's degree. American Journal of Business Education , 1 (1), 9-17.
- Dalton, T., Pattison, D. (2008). Deciding to work while collecting Social Security. The CPA Journal , 78 (7), 48-51.
- Farkas, M., Dalton, T. (2008). Combining the Home-sale exclusion with like-kind exchange deferral. Practical Tax Strategies , 80 (3).
- Dalton, T., Pattison, D. (2007). Timing Home Sales to Maximize Exclusion May Be Unwise. Practical Tax Strategies , 79 (2), 86-92.
- Dalton, T. (2006). Retirement at Age 62: Is Receiving Social Security Early Worth It?. The CPA Journal , LXXVI (6), 42-48.
- Dalton, T. (2005). Advising Clients to Buy a College Condo. Practical Tax Strategies, 75 (3), 161-171.
- Dalton, T. (2005). Structuring Joint Ventures Between For-Profit and Tax-Exempt Entities. Business Entities , 7 (1), 32-37.
- Whitney, G., Dalton, T. (2005). Traditional University and For-Profit Consulting Company Partner to Create Leadership Masters Degree. Proceedings of the Western Decisions Science Institute.
- Dalton, T. (2009). Lower Standards for CPAs Could Hurt State. San Diego Business Journa l, 30 (20), 35.
- Dalton, T. (2008). Opinion/Editorial: The $250,000 Question: Forget about defining wealth, mounting debt is the real issue. San Diego Union-Tribune.