Women PeaceMakers Panel Begins
Now in its ninth year, the Women PeaceMakers Program documents the stories and practices of international women leaders who are involved in human rights and peacemaking efforts in their home countries. Each year four women have the opportunity to share and build upon their unique peacemaking stories.
- The 2011Women PeaceMakers (WPMs) cover a wide breadth of experience:
- Wahu Kaara, a democracy and anti-debt activist and educator from Kenya
- Dr. Rashad Zaydan, a pharmacist that healed the wounded and now supports widows and orphans in Iraq
- Claudette Werleigh, the first female Prime Minister of Haiti and recent Secretary General of Pax Christi International
- Manjula Pradeep, a Dalit lawyer and human rights leader combating gender and caste discrimination in India
During their stay in San Diego, the women tell their stories to writers who capture their struggles, successes, dreams and disappointments. They interact with and address high school, college and other public audiences, and become a resource for the San Diego community.
For complete bios of the WPMs, please visit: http://www.sandiego.edu/peacestudies/ipj/programs/women_peace_makers/2011WPM.php
For more information on the WPM Program, please visit us at: http://www.sandiego.edu/peacestudies/ipj/programs/women_peace_makers/2011WPM.php
Schedule of Events
- WPM Panel Discussion: Sept. 29, 7 – 8:30 p.m. Institute for Peace & Justice Theatre
- A Conversation with Wahu Kaara: Oct. 4, 1 – 2 p.m. Institute for Peace & Justice Theatre
- WPM Fall Forum: Women, Media, Revolution: Oct. 5-7 Institute for Peace & Justice Theatre and conference rooms
- A Conversation with Manjula Pradeep: Oct. 11, 1 – 2 p.m. Institute for Peace & Justice Theatre
- A Conversation with Dr. Rashad Zaydan: Oct. 13, 1 – 2 p.m. Institute for Peace & Justice Theatre
- A Conversation with Claudette Werleigh: Oct. 20, 1 – 2 p.m. Institute for Peace & Justice Theatre
The Women PeaceMakers Program is made possible by a grant from the Fred J. Hansen Foundation.