Welcome to the USD Mortar Board website - Alcalá Chapter No. 216.
About Mortar Board
A national honor society that recognizes college seniors for their achievements in scholarship, leadership, and service
An active student organization that facilitates community service projects, faculty-student interaction, and leadership opportunities
A national network of over 231 Mortar Board chapters on campuses from Hawaii to Massachusetts
Dedicated men and women who promote equal opportunities of all people
A chance to serve USD and the community alongside fellow leaders and scholars
Mortar Board News
Mortar Board Selection for 2017/18 - (Deadline-Monday, February 13, 2017)
To be considered for USD Mortar Board for 2017/18, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Must have completed 60 – 110 units and not be graduating in May, August or December of 2017.
- Please note: units completed are used in determining a student’s status, not the number of years in attendance.
- Academically ranked in the top 35% of the Junior Class – Cum GPA of 3.36 or higher.
- Full time enrollment at USD with at least 60 units.
- Students who have participated and excelled in all three of the required areas: scholarship, leadership, and service.
- An informational meeting will be held on Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 1:30 p.m. in UC Forum A. You are invited to attend to learn more about Mortar Board, to ask questions about membership, or about the selection packet. This is not a mandatory meeting. If you are not able to attend, but have questions, you may call (619) 260-4720.
Approximately 30 students will be selected. There are several requirements that need to be met if you are chosen for membership in Mortar Board. They include: a one-time national fee of $80 (payable to USD Mortar Board), annual chapter dues of $20 (also payable to USD Mortar Board), attendance at orientation and initiation, attendance at meetings held every two weeks, continuous service and leadership, and participation in the Alcalá Chapter’s activities. Orientation will be held on Tuesday, March 28 at 12:15 p.m. Initiation will be held on Sunday, April 30 at 2:00 p.m. Initiated Mortar Board members receive a Mortar Board pin. Those who fully participate during 2017/18 will receive a Mortar Board medallion to be worn at the Honors Convocation and commencement. If the national or chapter dues in any way inhibit a student from becoming a Mortar Board member, there are a limited number of grants available. Information will be available at the orientation.
Membership in Mortar Board is an honor. If you believe you qualify for this honor, please follow the instructions on the application and return completed application no later than Monday, February 13, 2017.
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 260-4720