As part of USD’s strategy to better demonstrate student-learning outcomes, you are encouraged to consider using on of the following three methods for evaluating student reflection on their community engagement experience.
Community Service Learning Rubric
- Reflection paper prompts
- How do you connect what you are seeing the community with that you are learning in class? Please include two examples.
- What do you (did you) hope to accomplish in the community through your work? What supported and what hindered accomplishing that goal?
- What have you learned about your cultural heritage that is meaningful to you? The heritage of others?
- View rubric for scoring
- Created by Marshall Welch, ask students to write on Affect, Behavior, and Cognition and result in 9 points.
- View example
- A more in-depth method is to use a set of rubrics that have been created for national use, and so have comparative values across institutions.
- Integrated learning, civic engagement, intercultural knowledge, ethical reasoning.