London Housing Information
Our London program office and classes are located at the College of Law of England and Wales, 14 Store Street, in the Bloomsbury district. The closest underground (tube) stop is Goodge Street on the Northern Line. Stops at Russell Square (Picadilly Line) and Tottenham Court Road (Central Line) are a short walk.
USD does not offer campus housing in London, so accommodations are entirely at your discretion. Central London housing is recommended because commutes from cheaper suburban districts are long and costly. Housing located along bus or underground lines running near the program is ideal.
London universities offer summer dorm room rentals within walking distance of USD classes. Breakfast and high speed Internet may be included in the price. Amenities usually include bedding, cleaning service, shared kitchens and laundry facilities. For a private bathroom, select an “ensuite” room. London hostels are another budget choice. Students can rent a single room within a shared house or flat (apartment). Short-term apartment rentals are fairly expensive. Air conditioning is a rarity in London; private rentals may not include laundry facilities or Internet service.
Note that prices are quoted in British pounds. Dormitory rentals can be secured with a credit card payment. Private landlords typically require the negotiated deposit to be sent by wire transfer in British pounds and may require a non-refundable payment of partial or full rent. Do not send money without verifying that the landlord is a reputable estate agent or has the right to rent to you. Retain a copy of all records.
- Hostelworld: Rated choices of some of the least expensive housing in hostels and small hotels.
- Lonely Planet: Filter your search by type of accommodation and neighborhood.
- Craigslist London: Local classified listings for rooms, apartments and housing for rent.
Recommendations from Previous Students and Faculty
- Astor College of University College London, 99 Charlotte Street
- International Lutheran Student Centre, 30 Thanket Street
- Goodenough College, 21 Meclenbergh Square
- London School of Economics, Carr-Saunders Hall, 18-24 Fitzroy Street or Passfield Hall, 1-7 Endsleigh Place
- Nido Kings Cross, 220 Pentolville Road
Alerts and Warnings
- Secure your housing sooner, not later. London is a busy city and popular summer destination.
- Do not arrive without a room reservation for at least the first night in London.
- Print out a map of the neighborhood and directions for reaching your housing location by public transportation from the airport (taxis are easy but costly).
- Take copies of all communications and receipts regarding your housing arrangements.