Florence Housing Information
Our Florence program is located at the Florence campus of Syracuse University; the center of campus is the Villa Rossa at 15 Piazza Girolamo Savonarola. It is best to live within walking distance or a direct bus ride from classes. From the Duomo in central Florence, the school is a 15-minute uphill walk. The Oltrarno area south of the River Arno is lively and less expensive, however it is a very long walk with no direct bus route to classes.
USD does not offer campus housing in Florence, however we have identified experienced, English-speaking real estate agents to assist in finding rentals. Students may contact Carla Fioravanti by email or Susanne John by email. Ms. Fioravanti tends to have a larger inventory of student-level apartments. Please note that agents charge renters a 10% commission. Listings include studios to multi-bedroom apartments near classes. Students are not required to use this service and may secure their own housing.
Buildings in Florence date back to the 1400s. Many were once large private homes now divided into apartments. Apartments of all sizes and condition are available, including some very modern renovations, but air conditioning, internet connections, elevators and laundry facilities are not always provided. Pay careful attention to the descriptions of what is included in terms of bedding, kitchen equipment and private or shared bathroom facilities. Most students share a rented apartment or rent a room with a family.
Housing prices are quoted in Euros and private landlords typically require a wire-transfer deposit in Euros. Do not send money without verifying that the landlord is a reputable real estate agent or has the right to rent to you. Retain a copy of all records.
- Hostelworld: Rated choices of some of the least expensive housing in hostels and small hotels.
- Hostelz: Lists hostels, guesthouses and small hotels.
- HousinginFlorence: A private business exclusively booking student housing with private landlords.
Alerts and Warnings
- Secure your housing sooner, not later. Florence is a busy city and popular summer destination.
- Do not arrive without a room reservation for at least the first night in Florence.
- Print out a map of the neighborhood and directions for reaching your housing location by public transportation from the airport (taxis are easy but costly).
- Take copies of all communications and receipts regarding your housing arrangements.