More tips are also available on the university's event planning web page.
Steps for Planning Your Event
- Outline your concept (date, time, and program). Plan out your budget and make sure you have enough money in your account to put on the event.
- If you require additional funding, request it from the SBA, Office for JD Student Affairs, Office of the Provost, and outside sources.
- Check all calendars for any conflicts.
- Reserve a room. Read information on how to reserve a room at the law school. If you have any questions, email Trang Pham or call (619) 260-4208. In your Room Reservation Request Form, please fill out all fields and be sure to indicate whether the event will involve food and alcohol. You must submit the form at least 72 hours in advance of the event. However, if your event requires more set-up and furniture, you must submit your request at least a week in advance. Additionally, if your event will involve alcohol, the Alcohol Request Form must be submitted 14 days before the event (see Step 6 below).
- NOTE: To schedule a room outside of the Law School, you must contact that building's scheduler. Go to the list of scheduler contacts.
- Serving food? Once you have received a Room Reservation confirmation, contact USD Catering to set-up the menu for your event. Catering typically needs 14 days notice for an event.
- Serving alcohol? You must fill out an Alcohol Request Form. This form must be signed by the organization’s faculty advisor and then brought to Irene Condella, Director for Law Student Affairs, for approval. This form must be submitted 14 days before the event. All advertising for the event must refer to such drinks as "graduate level beverages."
- Does your event involve alumni? Email the Office of Development and Alumni Relations or call (619) 260-4692 to let them know about your event.
- USD School of Law is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider. To request MCLE credit for your event, email Program Manager Tara Murphy or call (619) 260-2297.
- If you need parking for guest speakers or program attendees, you need to contact the Office of Parking Service to reserve parking. You may do this by filling out the online Reserve Parking Space Form.
- Advertise your event. Submit your event via email to be included in Sidebar, the weekly e-newsletter for USD law. Sidebar submissions are due every Thursday at noon and will be advertised for two weeks before the event. You may also post flyers in approved areas. If you would like to submit an announcement for the electronic boards, email a PowerPoint slide (18.5 x 9.5) advertising the event details to the SBA Secretary.
- As always, you may email Irene Condella about your event to receive tips and assistance.