Accommodations and Disability Information

Working in close collaboration with the university’s Disability and Learning Difference Resource Center, the School of Law is committed to helping students with verified disabilities reach their fullest potential through meaningful accommodations and appropriate counseling. Accommodations are available for both  permanent and temporary disabilities and may include such things as extra time on examinations or note takers for class. Professors are not told that a student receives accommodations, and nothing about the student’s disability or the accommodations goes in the student’s permanent record.

As soon as students are aware of a need for services, as early as the summer before starting law school, they should make an appointment to discuss the process with Janet Madden.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain accommodations?

  • Contact Janet Madden in the law school to review the process.
  • Contact the appropriate professional for documentation on letterhead that includes diagnosis and recommendations.
  • Submit the documentation to the Disability and Learning Difference Resource Center via email, fax, or in person.
  • You will then be contacted to set up a meeting to discuss your accommodations.
  • After this meeting, the law school will be sent notification of any accommodations to which you are entitled to.
  • For information on what types of documentation are required, consult the Disability and Learning Difference Resource Center website

When should I apply for accommodations?

As soon as possible, even the summer before starting law school, to allow plenty of time to get your accommodations approved and in place.

I have a disability, but I’ve never asked for accommodations before. Should I do so now?

Law School presents challenges that may be unlike those you encountered as an undergraduate. See Janet Madden to discuss these issues.

What types of accommodations are available?

The most common accommodations are extra time on exams or note takers for class, but accommodations will be tailored specifically to address your unique case.

Will my professors know I receive accommodations?

Exams are graded anonymously, and your professor will not be told that you were accommodated, unless you actively waive confidentiality. You should not approach your professors about your accommodations; instead, meet with Janet Madden to determine appropriate steps.

Will my classmates know I receive accommodations?

Because you may be taking your exams in a different location, it is possible your classmates might question you. To develop strategies for dealing with your classmates, see Janet Madden.

Will future employers know I received accommodations in law school?

Your transcript will contain no mention of any accommodation you may have received.

I have a temporary disability. Can I still get accommodations?

Yes. Contact Janet Madden to discuss the options.

I'm having a lot of trouble with law school even though I'm working harder than ever, so I'm wondering if I might have a learning disability. What's my next step?

Make an appointment with Janet Madden to discuss your situation.


Law Student Affairs
Warren Hall, Room 218
Phone: (619) 260-4651
Fax: (619) 260-7715


M-F: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Facebook Instagram