Date and Time
Saturday, January 31, 2015 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
San Diego, CA 92110
It has often been said that by the time the jury has been sworn, even before evidence has been presented and opening statements made, you have either won or lost your case. This seminar focuses on how to select the right judge and jury to decide your client’s fate.
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Registration/Coffee and Muffins
- 9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. Objection Batson: A Review of the Law with Elisabeth Semel
- 10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. BREAK
- 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. Thank You for Your Honesty: Getting Jurors to Open Up with Toni Blake and Zaki Zehawi
- 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Lunch and Presentation: Race and Criminal Justice with Mike Marrinan
- 1:45 p.m. - 3 p.m. No Cause or Good Cause: Challenging the Judge with Alex Landon
Early Registration Rates (received before 1/16/15)
(includes syllabus, coffee and muffins, and lunch)
- General Registration: $50.00
- USD Alumni: $40.00
- Current Federal Defenders and Appellate Defenders: $40.00
- Office of the Public Defender/Alt. Public Defender/CJA, OAC and ADI Panel Attorneys: $40.00
- Former Defenders, Inc. or Community Defenders, Inc. Attorneys: No charge
- USD Faculty: No charge
- USD Students: $25 (Full reimbursement with proof of attendance)
If you are unable to register online, please email email@example.com.
Registration Rates (received after 1/16/15 and at the door)
- $65.00 (at-door registration will not guarantee lunch or syllabus)
University of San Diego School of Law is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider and certifies that this activity is approved for MCLE in the amount of 5 hours of General credit, 1.5 hours of Legal Ethics credit, and 3.5 hours of Elimination of Bias credit.
Community Defenders, Inc. Grant Committee
- Laura Berend, Esq., Professor of Law, University of San Diego
- Kurt Hermansen, Esq.
- Alex Landon, Esq.
- Liz Missakian, Esq.
- Lynda Romero, Esq.
- Zaki Zehawi, Esq.
Location and Directions
From the North: Use I-5 South, exit Sea World Dr. & Tecolote Rd. and proceed left at stoplight toward Morena Blvd. Turn right on Morena, left on Napa, and left on Linda Vista Rd. Travel to the second stoplight to USD's East entrance, turn left and enter campus.
From the South (or the airport): Use I-5 North, exit Morena Blvd. (signs will say: Morena Blvd. use I-8 East) Stay to the right and follow the signs for Morena Blvd. Take the first right onto Linda Vista Rd. Travel to the third stoplight to USD's East entrance, turn left and enter campus.
From the East: Use I-8 West, exit at Morena Blvd., go right onto Linda Vista Rd. and travel to the third stoplight to USD's East Entrance, turn left and enter campus.
Once you have entered campus (from all directions): From the East entrance, Warren Hall is the third building on the left after you take a left onto Torero Way.
Visitor parking permits will be available at the main campus entrance kiosk. Please be sure to obtain a permit and display it in your vehicle.