General Information for New Students

Registration Procedure

  1. Academic Advising
    • JD Students: Continuing students are advised to attend drop in advising hours at Law Student Affairs prior to registration each semester. Assistant Dean Meredith D'Angelo will hold advising sessions for new transfer and visiting students shortly before the start of the fall semester. You will be able to register for classes after your advising session. Please contact or (619) 260-4651 to schedule an appointment.
    • LLM, MSLS, and International Exchange Students: All entering LLM students are required to meet with Graduate and International Programs Assistant Director, Saviz Fallahian, prior to registering for classes. Please call Graduate and International Programs at (619) 260-7584 to schedule your appointment. You will be able to submit your fall course requests after your advising session.
  1. Registrar's Office (Warren Hall, Room 202)
    After completing academic advising, go to the Registrar's Office to complete the registration process by submitting the various required forms you will have received during advising.
  2. Financial Aid Office (Warren Hall, Room 203)
    Stop by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, if necessary.
  3. Student Accounts (One Stop Services Center, University Center)
    You will be charged a Late Registration Fee of $150.00 if your registration is not complete in the Office of Student Accounts by 5 p.m. on the Friday before the first day of school. You are not officially registered until the balance of your tuition is cleared in Student Accounts.

General Information

  • Assignments
    Check the class assignments web page for course reading assignments for the first day of class.
  • Bookstore – Hahn University Center
    Books and supplies may be purchased at the Bookstore (619) 260-4551, located in the Hahn University Center.
  • Bar Certification
    If you are planning to sit for a bar examination, we strongly encourage you to find out as much as you can about the various jurisdictions. We provide some bar information on our website to get you started.
  • Career and Professional Development 
    Please be advised that the Registrar’s Office cannot provide you with a copy of any non-USD transcript, so you will need to obtain copies directly from the issuing school, if you have not already done so. You will also need to use your non-USD class standing, as we have no way to translate your rank into our grading system. If you are a transfer student, your first opportunity to be ranked at USD will be at the end of the fall semester.
  • Email 
    If you haven't already done so, you MUST open a university email account. You will periodically be sent email messages from the administration to your USD email address and you will be held responsible for the information contained in those messages. In addition, you will need your USD email account user name and password to see your fall schedule and grades online.
  • Examinations
    Make yourself aware of the rules governing examinations and the final exam schedule. The exam schedule is sometimes subject to change and students sometimes encounter emergency situations during exams, do not make any irrevocable business, social or travel plans during the final examination period.
  • Handbook
    It is very important that you become familiar with the Handbook, as you will be held responsible for the information contained therein.
  • Torero Card (Campus I.D.)
    Personnel from the Campus Card Office will take your photo for your I.D. card once you have successfully enrolled.
  • Library (Including LEXIS/WESTLAW Access)
    Please stop by the Reference Desk at the Pardee Legal Research Center and pick up your Lexis and Westlaw numbers and arrange for a tour of the facilities. You will need your campus I.D. card for the Lexis/Westlaw information.
  • Lockers (Warren Hall first floor)
    Lockers are located on the first floor of Warren Hall. If you want one, please contact Assistant Director for JD Student Affairs Irene Meloney via email or in Warren Hall Room 218.
  • Parking
    You must purchase a valid parking permit in order to park on campus. Please purchase your parking permit as soon as possible.
  • Students with Disabilities 
    If you need accommodations during law school as a result of a documented disability, please contact the Disability and Learning Difference Resource Center to submit the required documentation and receive an accommodations assessment. Submit this information as soon as possible in order to ensure you receive accommodations in a timely manner; some professors start the midterm process early in the year!
  • Wellness Services
    The university has several centers which provide various wellness services for our students. You are welcome to take advantage of these services.

Online Registration Support

If you are experiencing technical difficulty please contact the ITS Help Desk via email at, or by phone at (619) 260–7900. If you are experiencing issues with pre–requisites or other non–technical registration matters, please contact the Office of the Law School Registrar via email at, or by phone at (619) 260-4526.


Law School Registrar
Warren Hall, Room 202
Phone: (619) 260-4526
Fax: (619) 260-5961


M-F: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.