History of the LRC

The Law School Library originally existed on the third floor of the main USD law school building, Warren Hall. In 1973, the law library moved to the old Knights of Columbus building, founded in 1958. Originally, the Knights of Columbus hall housed the university's College of Men's library. With the generous help of Marvin and Lillian Kratter, the law library was greatly expanded. Fundraising in the eighties led to a two-year construction project, completed in 1990 thanks to the single largest gift in the Law School's history—a $2.5 million commitment from university trustee George M. Pardee Jr. and his wife Katherine. The law library officially became the LRC at a September 21, 1990 ceremony.

The building now houses a number of different law school groups and functions: the law library and related library offices in the lower level, first, second and third mezzanine floors; a grouping of 13 faculty offices on the third floor; three classrooms, two off the North entrance on the first floor and one in the library on the second floor; and three centers (the Center for Public Interest Law, the Children's Advocacy Institute and the Energy Policy Initiatives Center). All the Centers are on the lower level, and all are entered from the South side parking lot.

The LRC continues to grow to support the educational missions of the School of Law and the University.