Leading Change - The Campaign for USD has heightened the law school's focus on providing multi-year scholarships to ensure that qualified students from all backgrounds have the opportunity to come to USD School of Law and graduate without excessive debt burdens that limit their opportunities to pursue the legal careers of their choosing. Scholarship funds also enable the law school to remain competitive in the recruitment and retention of a highly-qualified and diverse student body. By recruiting strong leaders, we invest in the future of our law school and build upon the strong reputation of USD School of Law.
In 2012, Dean Ferruolo created the Dean’s Scholarship Initiative, a fundraising initiative to raise $500,000 each year for student scholarships. This critical scholarship funding aims to strengthen the law school by attracting the highest quality students to USD, retaining the top talent and providing students with the experience necessary to attain jobs after graduation. With thanks to the leadership of the Board of Visitors, USD School of Law continues to make the Dean’s Scholarship Initiative a priority. The Initiative has three vital parts:
- Alumni Honor Scholarships (for 1Ls) – $250,000 per year
- To increase yield of top students
- To assist students with greater financial needs
- To improve the quality and increase the diversity of our students
- Alumni Summer Legal Work Grants – $100,000 per year
- To support students who take non-paying summer legal jobs
- To support 20 or more students with $5,000 grants
- To provide work experience that will increase chances of successful job placement after graduation
- Alumni Leadership Scholarships (for 2Ls) – $150,000 per year
- To reward students who show potential for leadership
- To support leaders whose careers are likely to enhance our reputation
With additional scholarship support in each of these three areas, USD School of Law will be well positioned to build the reputation of the law school and gain recognition for the high quality of the faculty and curriculum, the success of the students and the achievements of the alumni.
With a gift of $5,000 or more, you can establish and name your own annual scholarship fund. By investing in scholarships, you are making an impact on current and future students, as well as the future of USD School of Law. Read more about the Named Scholarship Program in the scholarship brochure.
For more information about giving to the law school's scholarship funds or about starting your own scholarship, please contact Debbie Rider, Director of Development, at (619) 260-5955.