General Information For New Students
- Academic Advising
- JD Students: Assistant Dean Emily Scivoletto will hold advising sessions for transfer students shortly before the start of the fall semester. You will be able to register for classes after your advising session. Please call her assistant in early August at (619) 260-4651 to schedule an appointment.
- LLM Students: All entering LLM students are required to meet with Graduate and International Programs Assistant Director Jacqueline Eggert prior to registering for classes. Please call Graduate and International Programs at (619) 260-4596 to schedule your appointment. You will be able to submit your fall course requests after your advising session.
- Records Office (Warren Hall, Room 202)
After completing academic advising, go to the Records Office to complete the registration process by submitting the various required forms you will have received during advising.
- Financial Aid Office (Warren Hall, Room 203)
Stop by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, if you need to.
- Student Accounts (One Stop Services Center, University Center)
You will be charged a Late Registration Fee of $150.00 if your registration is not complete in the Office of Student Accounts by 5 p.m. on the Friday before the first day of school. You are not officially registered until the balance of your tuition is cleared in Student Accounts.
- Assignments – Assignments Board in Warren Hall
Check the Assignments Board on the main floor of Warren Hall or the class assignments web page for course reading assignments for the first day of class.
- Bookstore – Loma Hall
Books and supplies may be purchased at the Bookstore (619) 260-4551, located in Loma Hall, the building directly behind Warren Hall.
- Bar Certification
If you are planning to sit for a bar examination, we strongly encourage you to find out as much as you can about the various jurisdictions. We provide some bar information on our website to get you started.
- Career Services
Fall recruiting will be starting immediately. Pleased be advised that we cannot provide you with a copy of any non-USD transcript, so you will need to obtain copies directly from the issuing school, if you haven't already done so. You will also need to use your non-USD class standing, as we have no way to translate your rank into our grading system. If you are a transfer student, your first opportunity to be ranked at USD will be at the end of the fall semester.
If you haven't already done so, you MUST open a university email account. You will periodically be sent email messages from the administration to your USD email address and you will be held responsible for the information contained in those messages. In addition, you will need your USD email account user name and password to see your fall schedule and grades online.
Make yourself aware of the rules governing examinations and the final exam schedule. The exam schedule is sometimes subject to change and students sometimes encounter emergency situations during exams, do not make any irrevocable business, social or travel plans during the final examination period.
It is very important that you become familiar with the Handbook, as you will be held responsible for the information contained therein.
- Torero Card (Campus I.D.)
Personnel from the Campus Card Office will take your photo for your I.D. card once you have successfully enrolled.
- Library (Including LEXIS/WESTLAW Access)
Please stop by the Reference Desk at the Pardee Legal Research Center and pick up your Lexis and Westlaw numbers and arrange for a tour of the facilities. You will need your campus I.D. card for the Lexis/Westlaw information.
- Lockers (Warren Hall first floor)
Lockers are located on the first floor of Warren Hall. If you want one, please contact Assistant Director for JD Student Affairs Irene Condella via email or in Warren Hall Room 206.
- Mailboxes for Students (Warren Hall Second Floor Lobby)
Important information is frequently put in your student "mailbox," a hanging file arranged alphabetically and located in one of the four-drawer filing cabinets located near the elevator on the main floor of Warren Hall. Check your mailbox frequently for important administrative information for which you will be held responsible.
Personnel from the Campus Card Office are selling parking permits. Please purchase your parking permit as soon as possible.
- Students with Disabilities
If you need accommodations during law school examinations as a result of a disability, you will need to contact Don Kirson, Director of Disability Services, at (619) 260-4674 with your documentation so that he can determine the needed accommodations. Please submit this information as soon as possible so we can get the process rolling; some professors start the midterm process early in the year!
- Wellness Services
We have several centers which provide various wellness services for our students. You are welcome to take advantage of these services when necessary.
For questions about this page, please contact the Office of the Law School Registrar.