This event occurred in the past
Date and Time
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice
Standard & Poor's unprecedented downgrade of U.S. debt coupled with Europe's debt crisis has caused the economic recovery to be uneven, impacting investors, retirement security, corporate profitability and investment opportunities in the stock, bond and derivatives markets. University of San Diego School of Law's Center for Corporate and Securities Law and sponsoring partner, Brandes Investment Partners, invite you to join them for an evening of discussion, debate and guidance for investors in the new global environment.
Expert panelists will provide insight and guidance through new key investor protection measures and debate issues affecting investors. Issues discussed will include opportunities created by volatility in the financial markets, whether the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 will help prevent the next financial meltdown, the role of credit rating agencies, the new CFTC derivatives rules and the link between corporate governance and financial performance.
Jim Brown, director of investments at Brandes Investment Partners, San Diego, will moderate a panel of distinguished financial experts including:
- Yaron Brook: president and executive director of the Ayn Rand Institute, Brook is frequently interviewed on national TV and radio, a regular contributor to Forbes and a former finance professor who lectures on objectivism, business ethics and foreign policy.
- Robert Gnaizda: featured in the 2010 Academy Award-winning film "Inside Job," a documentary about the causes and consequences of the financial crisis, Gnaizda is a well-respected consumer advocate and co-founder of the Greenlining Institute, a multi-ethnic public policy research and advocacy institute.
- George Wilder: legal counsel at the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Office of Commissioner Bart Chilton.
- Christianna Wood, CFA: chair of the International Corporate Governance Network, Wood sits on the boards of H&R Block and the International Securities Exchange, and is former senior investment officer of the CalPERS Global Equity unit.
- 5:30 p.m. – Reception
- 6:30 p.m. – Panel Discussion
Unable to attend?
Registration is now closed. Click here to watch the event live through streaming video on Tuesday, October 4 at 5:30 p.m. When prompted, please register as "guest."
The University of San Diego School of Law is a State Bar of California-approved MCLE provider and certifies that this activity is approved for MCLE credit in the amount of 1.75 hours of general credit.
The Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission (FCIC) Report
Dissenting views by Keith Hennessey, Douglas Holtz-Eakin and Bill Thomas (pp 411-439)
Dissenting Views by Peter J. Wallison (pp 441-538)
"Washingon's Financial Disaster," New York Times op-ed by Frank Partnoy.