Wednesday, April 17, 2013
In response to a significant need for scholarship funding, USD School of Law dean Stephen Ferruolo launched a three-year $1.5M scholarship initiative last fall. The Dean’s Scholarship Initiative focuses on making an immediate impact by increasing scholarship funding that will directly benefit our students and strengthen USD School of Law.
This three-part initiative urges alumni to give generously and provide an additional $500,000 for each of the next three years to support student scholarships. This funding will ensure that USD School of Law can continue to attract and retain top students while increasing student opportunities to gain valuable legal experience. The three-part initiative is outlined below:
- Alumni Honor Scholarships (for 1Ls)—$250,000 per year
- To increase yield of top students
- To assist students with greater financial needs
- To improve the quality and increase the diversity of our students
- Alumni Summer Legal Work Grants—$100,000 per year
- To support students who take non-paying summer legal jobs
- To support 20 more students with $5,000 grants
- To provide work experience that will increase chances of successful job placement after graduation
- Alumni Leadership Scholarships (for 2Ls)—$150,000 per year
- To retain top law students
- To reward those who show potential for leadership
- To support leaders whose careers are likely to enhance our reputation
After announcing the scholarship initiative in September, the law school received an immediate outpouring of support from generous law school alumni and community members. Over 550 alumni and friends have pulled together and committed $425,000 in gifts and pledges to support this initiative.
With just over two months left in the fiscal year, we are looking to raise an additional $75,000 to meet our goal. Every gift, no matter the amount, makes a difference in raising $500,000 for student scholarships. For more information or to make your gift online, please visit the webpage.