Why Intellectual Property (IP) Law?
The University of San Diego School of Law’s strong and growing intellectual property program provides students with the academic foundation and hands-on training that allows them to hit the ground running in today’s lightning fast, innovation-driven environment.
Courses in IP
USD School of Law has built a strong, core academic program led by Lyle L. Jones Professor of Innovation and Competitive Law David McGowan, along with seven full-time faculty members and numerous adjunct professors who bring many years of experience practicing patent law at the highest level.
- JD with IP Concentration
- General LLM with IP Concentration
- LLM in Comparative Law with IP Concentration for international students
- Full-time, part-time and summer programs
Experience in IP
USD makes it possible for students focusing on IP law to put their academic training into practice before graduation:
- Center for Intellectual Property Law & Markets
- Technology Entrepreneurship Clinic
- Corporate Counsel Internship Program
- Entertainment, Sports and Intellectual Property Internship Program
- Intellectual Property Law Association
Careers in IP
Students benefit from USD School of Law’s successful history of career placement both regionally and nationally.
- Intellectual Property Careers event hosted by the Office of Career and Professional Development
- Calendar of Career Center events
Spotlight on IP
In San Diego, nearly a quarter of attorneys who practice intellectual property law are USD School of Law graduates, including QUALCOMM Vice Chairman Steve Altman, ’86, and Executive Vice President and Group President Derek Aberle, ‘96.