With the recent licensing of Qualtrics at USD, it is expected that the number of surveys administered will continue to increase. It is essential that surveys conducted at the University of San Diego provide meaningful, reliable results and that the administration of surveys be such that we maximize response rates and work to prevent survey fatigue by respondents.
We encourage members of our community to follow these procedures rather than purchase individual accounts for online survey administration software.
Reccomended Administrator Procedures:
- Avoiding the collection of duplicate information
- Encouraging the sharing of survey results with the campus community
- Reducing possible survey fatigue by limiting the number and timing of surveys to any one specific group
- Maximizing participation rates for critical university surveys
- Ensuring that those who undertake survey research are aware of ethical practices for research involving human participants and have Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval as necessary
A description of USD Qualtrics account types can be found at this link.
Administrative privileges will be granted to faculty and staff members of USD. Students who wish to distribute surveys must have a sponsoring faculty or staff member who has obtained survey approval privileges approve the survey for them. Faculty members are automatically granted survey approval privileges upon account creation.
Potential uses of Qulatrics at USD:
- Research conducted by faculty
- Evaluation or assessment of an event by participants or feedback on a service by clients
- Surveys that are part of assigned work for a course
MAX of 100 respondents, otherwise permissions MUST be increased:
Qualtrics is set to allow surveys to be administered to a maximum of 100 respondents. Anyone who wishes to survey more than 100 respondents must fill out the USD Qualtrics Administrative Request Form.
BEFORE increasing permissions for a Qualtrics account:
- Ensure that the survey is not designed to collect information already collected by another university survey; if available, the University will provide the sought after information
- Reduce survey fatigue and help to maximize responses to critical university surveys by providing permissible dates for the administration of the survey
- Provide the official email list for administration or administer the survey if appropriate