Mediasite is a classroom lecture capture technology that allows an instructor to easily video record his/her lecture along with any computer output or presentation. Mediasite also makes it possible to record lectures or presentations directly from your desktop, using your computer's microphone and camera via the Mediasite Desktop Recorder. The system then formats these components in a organized fashion and makes the lecture available on-demand. Streams can be viewed by students in a learning management system such as Blackboard, or via a link on a Web site, or even on their handheld devices. Content is broken into segments allowing the user a number of various access points throughout the length of the recording for easy navigation.
Visit the Site: http://www.mediasite.com
Mediasite makes it possible for students to revisit a lecture as many times as they like, which can be especially valuable for exam review or to gain a better understanding of a difficult concept. Mediasite is an effective way for instructors to build libraries of material that can be accessed not only by students, but also by colleagues, practitioners, and the extended academic community.
Currently, Mediasite is installed in the following classrooms for the purpose of recording lectures.
- Serra Hall, Room 155
- Pardee Legal Research Center, Room 132
- Coronado Hall, Room 134
- Hahn School of Nursing, Room 106
Additionally, USD has licenses for the Mediasite Desktop Recorder that can be provisioned to faculty members for the purpose of recording a desktop or laptop screen in addition to audio or video via the computer's camera and microphone.
Mediasite at USD is not intended to be used in place of face-to-face teaching, but rather in addition to it.
Mediasite allows you to …
- Create on-demand lecture material that can be used over and over
- Give students access to your lectures for review
- Build a library of lecture material to share in a variety of ways
- Create lectures in advance of travel obligations
- Make your lectures mobile, allow students to access them on handheld devices
Currently we have four classrooms with Mediasite installed (listed above). You can work with your department's technical or scheduling liason to reserve one of these spaces.
- To request a license for the Mediasite Desktop Recorder, please contact the iTeam at x7400 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. When submitting a request, please be sure to include your department and intended usage.
- The iTeam can provide training on Mediasite in a 1-on-1 or group format. Please contact the iTeam at x7400 or email@example.com to arrange training.